Is there a homebrew app to play more video codecs?

Discussion in 'iPad' started by sprint_user, Jul 14, 2010.

1. sprint_user

sprint_user New Member

Device:
    iPad 2 (Black)
    I have a bunch of video codecs I would love to play, like .vlc, and I was wondering if there was a homebrew media application that supports a wide range of codecs for the iPad. I am considering buying one in a month, and I want to know whether or not I should start converting my ~30GB of Dragonball Z + GT (I know, nerdy) to a proper file. Thanks.
  2. bobby681

bobby681 Active Member

Device:
    iPhone 4 (Black)
    Zodttd did make vlc4iPhone but I doubt it supports the iPad, it hasn't been updated in ages ):
  3. sprint_user

sprint_user New Member

Device:
    iPad 2 (Black)
    Crap. Alright thanks for the reply. Maybe there is another app out there someone knows of.
  4. flashisflamable

flashisflamable New Member

Device:
    iPhone 4 (Black)
    vlc does work, but it doesn't look the greatest. I think yxflash was updated for it too
  5. ibebyi

ibebyi New Member

Device:
    iPad
    yxflash as mentioned works albeit with some slight stuttering on mkv's and some avi's. not sure about .vlc as that sounds like a vlc specific codec (captain obvious i know). yxflash is available from cydia.

Theres also yxplayer (appstore version of yxflash) that got approved (surprisingly) that is basically the same as yxflash minus the filesystem root access.

However, these apps dont do such a great job decoding and are really hit or miss. I'd advise you either convert using handbrake (has presets for apple devices.. really convenient

Please Register or Log in to view images

) or use airvideo which basically allows you to stream any video from your computer's harddrive to your ipad.

Hope this helps.
  6. ChrisL

ChrisL Well-Known Member

Yea, I think it'd be best to convert your videos to mp4/m4v. I've used vlc4iphone on my iPod Touch and honestly, it wasn't very good. There was a lot of stuttering and I don't even think the sound worked for me.
  7. clock2113

clock2113 Member

Device:
    3G iPod touch
    There's also oplayer... haven't tried it yet.

YXplayer was disappointing.
  8. Ari.

Ari. Active Member

Device:
    iPad
    Air video on appstore plays loads of files streamed from computer, works well.
  9. bahamutspirit

bahamutspirit New Member

Device:
    iPad 2 (Black)
    Well, as long as you don't use libraries that you created yourself without providing the source code to... or libraries that don't use open-source codes, then I think Apple will approve it.

...makes me wonder why Adobe STILL won't just provide the source code to their flash player and get it approved already...

Anyway, I think what is happening here is that yxflash only used open-source codecs, or that the author provided the source codes to his codecs and Apple approved it.