Is there a difference between GM 3.0 and public 3.0?

Discussion in 'iPod touch Firmware 3.0' started by Sharkeyy, Jun 17, 2009.

1. Sharkeyy

Sharkeyy New Member

I'm a beta tester and have been using the 3.0 betas. Last week I updated to GM 3.0. Now that the 3.0 software has been released to the public, is it any different then the GM 3.0? I'm not picking up any updates which is telling me its the exact same or iTunes doesn't recognize it.

If it is the same, will iTunes tell me when there is an update like it normally would? If it's not the same, can I simply shift+update the public released 3.0?

I also want to know what the deal is with restoring and updating, I know restoring is better, but I like to to update because it's faster and I don't loose my data and springboard setup. One thing that isn't working (with shift+update) is YouTube, I can't sign in. I'm sure restoring would fix this, but if I restore can I restore from backup, putting all my contacts, bookmarks, settings and game files back on my device?

Thanks in advance!

*I am not and will jailbreak my device!
  2. TheIpodTeen

TheIpodTeen New Member

Device:
    4G iPod touch
    hey

Yes it is the exact same thing EXACTLY the same, people that restore from gm to 3.0 official are just getting it legally
  3. Bubalooshi

Bubalooshi Active Member

Device:
    iPhone 3GS (Black)
    There are no differences between the GM and Public version.
  4. Joe Rossignol

Joe Rossignol Community Manager Staff Member

Device:
    iPhone 5 (Black)
    I downloaded the GM copy from Developer Connection last night and the official copy today... doesn't seem to be a difference. The GM may expire after a while I am guessing?
  5. Nburnes

Nburnes Well-Known Member

Device:
    OnePlus One
    Shouldn't expire?

The GM is the final release version.
  6. jamil_d

jamil_d Active Member

Device:
    iPhone 3GS (Black)
    MD5 Checksum is the same, so is build number. It is exactly the same. GM does not expire, therefore.
  7. Sharkeyy

Sharkeyy New Member

Thanks for this feedback! So when they come out with an update iTunes will recognize it?

Anyone have anything to say about YouTube, does signing in and viewing subscriptions work, if so how did you install the firmware?