Is the iPhone too expensive?

Discussion in 'iPhone' started by Joe Rossignol, Sep 12, 2013.

1. Joe Rossignol

Joe Rossignol Community Manager Staff Member

Device:
    iPhone 5 (Black)
    • iPhone 5S starts at $649 (16GB) unlocked
    • iPhone 5C starts at $549 (16GB) unlocked
    While both iPhones have solid build quality, they're both overpriced in my opinion. I was hoping that the iPhone 5C would retail for around $300 to $400 unlocked.
  2. laze

laze Banned

Device:
    iPad 3
    Yeah, I don't really see the point of cutting down on costs to not cut down on costs.

Clearly, the iPhone 5c is making apple more profit, not saving people money. That's where the confusion is. We thought they were offering us a cheaper phone for cheaper, but they're just building cheaper devices so they can make more money off them. We walked right into that one, really.
    Tatanko and arturllm like this.
  3. SilverShip

SilverShip Well-Known Member

Device:
    iPad
    The iPhone has always been over priced. But the pricing of the iPhone 5C is ludicrous
    dsg, Mr 1DK, loukas77 and 2 others like this.
  4. Arth

Arth Active Member

Lets not say overpriced, lets make it fancy and say unecessarily high priced.
    And yes, the iPhone 5c will do it's job and save money, only it's Apple's money it's saving.
    blunden likes this.
  5. Jake0604

Jake0604 Well-Known Member Deactivated account

iPhone 5C is definitely overpriced

iPhone 5S should drop the 16GB and put the 32GB at it's pricepoint but other then that I don't think it's overpriced.
    Tatanko likes this.
  6. Zyiros

Zyiros Well-Known Member

Device:
    Nexus 4
    Definitely. I would pay no more than $550 for an unlocked iPhone 5S. No more than $450 for the 5C.
  7. donovan637

donovan637 Member

Device:
    iPhone 5S
    99% of phones are overpriced without a contract...they shouldn't be more than a tablet..i heard that its because they have less room to work with so it's more production costs but cmon...$650 for a phone? I can even get a laptop for that price. $500 is reasonable for a high end phone but I wouldn't expect it from Apple.
    Apochalypze likes this.
  8. itchy

itchy New Member

Device:
    iPhone 4S (Black)
    Apple is repeating its mistakes from the late 80s and early 90s by going for high profit instead of going for more market share and competing with their competition.

Apple told us it would have a "low cost" phone to compete against lower cost phones.. The 5c is *not* low cost. Sure Apple will sell a lot of them, but this is the point in time Apple starts to shrink.

They were the innovators until the iPhone 4S. Since then the market has caught up and in many ways passed them by. One example is screen size. The public obviously likes phones with larger screens such as 4.5" and 5" screens, and Apple has nothing to offer for the next year..... the NEXT YEAR.

I have a 4S and don't plan on buying anything Apple has for sale at this point in time. The newer phones don't have enough increased value in them for me to pay the $800 or so for a 64GB phone.
    dsg, Soldier, Yongkykun and 2 others like this.
  9. Zyiros

Zyiros Well-Known Member

Device:
    Nexus 4
    The price of the iPhone must come down or the phone plans must come down.
  10. Jake0604

Jake0604 Well-Known Member Deactivated account

They never said that.
    PriteSprite and the_tech_eater like this.