Is the iPhone Edge 8GB worth $250?

Discussion in 'iPhone' started by ChuckMez, Jan 15, 2009.

1. ChuckMez

ChuckMez New Member

Device:
    4G iPod touch
    I have a fried who is willing to sell me their Edge iPhone for $250. I intend to unlock it so that I can use t-mobile (Which doesn't have 3G coverage) sim cards. Do you think that this is a good idea?
  2. macfanboy

macfanboy New Member

Device:
    iPod touch
    No, u get the 3G at 199 and get to unlock it as well
    plus u can now buy it from stores and activate at home which makes unlocking eaiser!!
  3. mattym

mattym New Member

Device:
    iPhone 4 (Black)
    That is the stupidest thing i have ever heard. The 3G does not cost $199. You HAVE TO pay an activation fee. You HAVE TO pay the early termination fee if you cancel the contract. You HAVE TO keep it for 30 days before you cancel it which means you HAVE TO pay first months fees AND prorated fees. So in the end a 3G baught with the point of unlocking will cost you like $550. Also at home activation does not help unlocking it in any way.

If your gonna use a carrier that only uses 2G band networks then buy your buddies iPhone for $250, its a decent deal, as long as the phone is in good condition.
  4. coop777

coop777 Member

Device:
    iPhone 4 (Black)
    ChuckMez,

I ebayed 1st gen 8GB for just over $200 in November for use with tmobile and have not looked back. The older iphones still retain value because of the jailbreak and unlock capability. I would venture to say that until the contract stipulation with iphone purchase goes away, this won't change.
  5. Rdude

Rdude Member

Device:
    iPhone 3G (Black)
    hey....you can get the iphone 3g 8gb iphone for $199 (well in the u.s. atleast)
  6. leadergo

leadergo Active Member

its already explained dude. 199 is for the iPhone 3G 2 year contract. the phone itself (no contract, just phone) is worth around $600.
  7. Baggy Spandex

Baggy Spandex Active Member

Device:
    iPad 2 (White)
    the 8gb 3g is 400 from at&t without a contract brand new. 16gb is 500. i think its worth it to buy the older 2g for 250. try to take him down 50 bucks, if hes really your friend. thats kinda the price they're goin for.
  8. MrFairladyz

MrFairladyz Active Member

Device:
    iPod touch
    if you know what your doing, you can get an iphone 3g 8gb for 199 and cancel the contract without paying the etf.
  9. erichuynh05

erichuynh05 Member

Device:
    iPhone 3G (Black)
    I got an iphone 3g 8 gb alone off of ebay for only like 500$.

Please Register or Log in to view images

it was great. i used it with my current att sim card. In the US nobody sells iphones without contract
  10. horaciog

horaciog New Member

I bought mine for $300.00 in October 2007. Was worth it. I'm using T-mobile family plan. Free internet. And a lot of Themes thanks to cydia. I'm running firmware 2.1
    I you don't want it, I can buy and re-sell for $375.00 Unlocked and Jailbrake.