Is the iphone a good phone for mobile internet?

Discussion in 'iPhone' started by tech3475, Sep 23, 2009.

1. tech3475

tech3475 Active Member

Device:
    iPhone 4 (Black)
    I currently have a touch 2g and for my birthday I am getting a contract phone, so what I was thinking of doing was selling my touch and using the money to buy an iphone.

Is the iphone a good phone and more importantly how is the internet with 02 when not using wifi?

Also how easy is it to upgrade to an iphone from a touch?

Also do 02 let you easily tether and how easy is it to do?

Finally is it worth paying the extra money for a 3Gs?

thank you.

I wont be unlocking the phone (yet while under contract) so only JB capabilities are an issue.
  2. PieOPah

PieOPah Member

Device:
    iPhone 4 (Black)
    I have been using the iPhone for about 4 months and would personally say it is the best phone I have owned (and there have been quite a few). When I say this, I am purely talking about the device as a phone, not a music player, games console etc. Owning an iPod Touch, you know how good all that side of things are!

With previous phones, I have always had a problem with hearing somebody, but with the iPhone, all calls have been clear.

As for the 3g connection, in general this is good enough for my requirements. There have been a few instances where O2 have obviously had issues as connection drops or isn't there at all, but I can live with it

I would get the 3gs over the 3g (which I have) - mainly because of the improvements in the camera (focus and video)
  3. tech3475

tech3475 Active Member

Device:
    iPhone 4 (Black)
    thanks, also how good is the speaker for music, The touch has a rubbish speaker which is just bearable but how much better is the 3Gs?

Also does anyone know how much an 11 month old touch is worth these days on ebay?
  4. PieOPah

PieOPah Member

Device:
    iPhone 4 (Black)
    Again, I would say that the speaker is fairly good.

I don't use it very often, but there have been a couple of instances where I have been camping and used it to listen to my music. Loud enough to enjoy without annoying everybody else around you!

I also like the fact that if you cover the speaker with your finger it almost mutes the phone - there are times music has blared out without me expecting it to - not the best thing for a quiet office!

I would advise checking Ebay to see how much the iPod Touch is selling for!
  5. tech3475

tech3475 Active Member

Device:
    iPhone 4 (Black)
    Again thank you, however I just looked on 02's website and apparently for tethering to a PC you need to buy an expensive monthly addon, that is the best way to tether for free or at the most a low one off price?
  6. PieOPah

PieOPah Member

Device:
    iPhone 4 (Black)
    I believe that there are ways of tethering for free if you Jailbreak. Also, although I am not sure, if when you get your iPhone you do a restore as new phone, there is an option to accept or decline an Operator Update (which is linked to them disabling tethering).

I accepted - but then again I don't use tethering so I don't care!
  7. tech3475

tech3475 Active Member

Device:
    iPhone 4 (Black)
    I just googled a bit more, is it true that they are disconnecting free tetherers?