Is the iPad a laptop replacement?

Discussion in 'iPad' started by #1 iPad Fan, Jul 17, 2010.

?

1. Yes, for Average usage

19 vote(s)
    65.5%
  2. No, for Average usage

6 vote(s)
    20.7%
  3. Yes, for Hardcore usage

0 vote(s)
    0.0%
  4. No, for Hardcore usage

4 vote(s)
    13.8%
  1. #1 iPad Fan

#1 iPad Fan New Member

Device:
    iPad w/ 3G

-------------------------------------------------

Sitting on the couch. I notice my presentation needs touching up. I get my iPad.
    Riding in the Bus. I feel like playing some doodle jump. I get my iPad.
    Working at work. I need to check my favorite tech sites. I get my iPad.

-------------------------------------------------

The iPad has changed many things in my eyes. I no longer need to have a keyboard there all the time. I no longer have to power it on completely every time I need to check emails.
    I no longer have to worry about my battery running out.

With my iPad, I know I have the best experience possible while browsing the web, using iWork and checking my emails. With my MacBook, I had to always worry about my battery running out and my browser crashing. This is no longer a concern with my iPad 32GB WIFI+3G.

My iPad truly delivers on my daily computing needs.

Previously being an owner of a MacBook, I thought i had the best experience possible. Now with my iPad, I truly believe it cannot get any better. For daily usage, the ipad just works better than my MacBook did. I can browse fluently, email quickly and produce productively. With my iPad I can now do most of the things i could do with my MacBook and iPhone, in a device that is ultra portable and extremely powerful.

Many criticize the iPad because of the lack of flash. I had Fr4sh installed and to be honest, flash is completely unusable on an iPad. It works, but chews battery, slows down and heats up my iPad.

Video is much, much better than the macbook ever was. I had the same YouTube video loaded on both devices, and the iPad looks so much more vivid and amazing than the macbook. Even though the iPad is 4:3, HD video still looks pretty awesome.

So, I have been using my iPad for four days now and after three, sold my MacBook.

Currently I have an iPad, iPhone and a......nothing else.

Now I just use my local library computer to do my updating and activating.

In conclusion, my iPad has officially replaced my laptop. I can do my work, emails and web browsing all on the one device. I have finally made it down to two devices and the money i made from my MacBook has gone to the second-gen iPad fund.

PS: Written on my iPad
  2. iMikkie

iMikkie Member

Device:
    iPad 3
    I don't think an iPad can be a replacemnent for a laptop , as they are 2 totally different devices really. Although they may be able to do similar things, they are both unique in there own ways.
  3. #1 iPad Fan

#1 iPad Fan New Member

Device:
    iPad w/ 3G
    That is why I made the title 'Is the iPad a laptop replacement?' because it is more of a question rather than a statement.

'Why the iPad is a laptop replacement' does not accurately define the post.
  4. GEFORCE

GEFORCE New Member

I'm not so sure

I must admit I never really thought much of the iPad, just a big iPhone. This little read has slightly changed my views but I still cannot see it as being a replacement for a propper computer of some sort. I just cant see myself with no computer. I think that an iPad is a replacement for a portable computer only but you would still need a propper computer back at home. This could still be a laptop or the trusty desktop.
  5. #1 iPad Fan

#1 iPad Fan New Member

Device:
    iPad w/ 3G
    or possibly an iMac i7 library computer....

Please Register or Log in to view images

6. peebrian202869

peebrian202869 Banned

Device:
    3G iPod touch
    I don't think it replaces a MacBook (i have a MacBook and have only tried the iPad at the Apple store), here's why;

Gaming

The games on the iPad and the games on the MacBook/laptop are very different in the sense that iPad games are (usually) smaller, quicker, less cpu/graphically intense and MacBook games are not a bus journey thing, they take time to finish and are (in some cases) very graphically intense and take alot more thought/skill.

Work/productivity

OK, well...

In this case both devices have their ups and downs; iPads, having a touch screen, are probably better for drawing than a laptop in that you are actually drawing rather than moving a mouse. I say this because i always fail with a tablet for computers...
    But computers have more power, therefore more powerful applications, EG: Photoshop CS5. Wow.

Internet.

Bigger screen is a better web browser (this more just my opinion), computers have bigger screens than iPads, generally speaking, and therefore have a bigger browser that is... well... bigger. :/

Powerfulnessism.

iPads have 512mb RAM, if i'm not mistaken?
    MacBooks (White unibody late 2009) can have up to 8gig of RAM.
    This brings me to the next thing...

Multi-tasking.

On a MacBook you have things like a better dock and alot more power to use your apps with, this means better multi-tasking. Example: Spaces, this is a part of Mac OS X (i dont know what firmware they implemented this in) and allows you to assign a different desktop space to each application so that multi-tasking looks cleaner and alot less cluttered. On an iPad they are soon to implement this feature.

Please Register or Log in to view images

An open system.

Why can't Apple just let people do what they want with their devices?
    Apple computers and OS X is completely open, it can be tampered with alot, such as; bootcamp, theming, terminal and finder. Why did they completely close iOS ?? They should give us an option and it should be developers responsibility to make sure that pirated copies of their software cannot be used, just like they do in OS X and Windows.

Conclusion.

If you want a quicker, simpler and funner device then go with the iPad, if you want a device that is not for 5 minute use and you want to really get things done the proper way then go for a laptop/desktop.

I realise that comparing an iPad to a desktop computer is not very fair and so i have used the MacBook as an example.

I go MacBook.
  7. #1 iPad Fan

#1 iPad Fan New Member

Device:
    iPad w/ 3G
    Another great point.

That is why I made the name 'Is the iPad a laptop replacement' as an open question rather than a closed statement.

Perhaps a poll is in order!

PS: Anyone having trouble with Youtube? EG not connecting on iPad and Computer connecting but not playing videos.
  8. Casiuss

Casiuss Member

Device:
    iPhone 4S (Black)
    For everyday useage its a perfect replacement. things like browsing and information gathering.
    things like downloading files or gaming isnt the real purpose of the device!

Edit

Written on my iPad
  9. peebrian202869

peebrian202869 Banned

Device:
    3G iPod touch
    Does it even let you download stuff?
  10. #1 iPad Fan

#1 iPad Fan New Member

Device:
    iPad w/ 3G
    I suppose with JB you could use SafariDownload from cydia to dl stuff.