Is the impossible, possible? Access iPod Touch thru Windows?

Discussion in 'iPod touch' started by Tyree, Jun 27, 2010.

1. Tyree

Tyree New Member

I have read and read and read that the iPod Touch (3rd Gen, 64GB) has no disk mode and therefore can't be accessed via Windows Explorer like a flash drive...only by iTunes or another 3rd party app that will allow browsing the contents, like DiskAid (which the version I have doesn't support iOS4).

Well, as much as I'm sure someone will dispute it, I know, that I know, that I know, that up until yesterday when I upgraded to iOS4, I indeed could access my photos, etc directly from Windows just like any other flash drive. I was running 3.1.3, non-jailbroken. When I plugged the iPod in, Windows would pop up the familiar options dialog to choose if I wanted to view photos, open the folder, etc. And it showed up in My Computer as a drive called iPod Touch with a drive letter and everything. But now....nothing.

So, does anyone know how to get that supposedly impossible funtionality back, or was I living in some sort of dream world until yesterday?

Thanks!!!
    Matt
  2. Aprosamurai

Aprosamurai Active Member

Device:
    3G iPod touch
    Download i-FunBox. It works on 4.0, you of course can not see root archives if you're unjailbroken, but it still shows you the media folders as well as the books that you have purchased and whatnot.
    here
  3. Naveen121

Naveen121 Well-Known Member

Device:
    2G iPod touch
  4. AgedBike

AgedBike New Member

Device:
    3G iPod touch
    it only pops up if u save pics on ur ipod, i think. save a pic from internet then plug in ur ipod and see what happens.
  5. SPGreenawalt

SPGreenawalt Member

Device:
    4G iPod touch
    They updated diskaid to support 4.0 and iPhone Folders (I like iPhone Folders since its located in my computer and it seems faster) both support 4.0 but they still wont see root archives unless jailbroken.
  6. Tyree

Tyree New Member

HAHA! Thank YOU! That's what it was! So, yeah, I guess I can only access photos. But, all I wanted to do was upload a favorite background image from when it was jailbroken. That'll do it. Oh wait...I guess that doesn't let me copy to it, only from it! Drat!

Guess I'm still going to check out iFunBox though (TouchDrive sucks).

Thanks, guys!!!
    ------------------double post merged------------------
    Oh, so iFunBox is only good for jailbroken iPods. Crap. Oh well. Guess I'll just have to upload the image to the web and grab it that way.