Is The 8GB Good For Apps?

Discussion in 'iPod touch' started by DeadlyD™, Dec 8, 2009.

1. DeadlyD™

DeadlyD™ New Member

Device:
    iPhone 4 (Black)
    EDIT: Ok first off, I know I've already posted a thread with the same title. This is NOT asking the same question though, I just thought the name worked well with it. Alright onto the question!( I changed the name to somthing that went better

Please Register or Log in to view images

)

Ok I just read that the 32 and 64GB iPod Touches have 256MB of RAM, and the 8GB has somthing like 90MB of RAM. If this is not right please tell me. Anways, what I want to know is the RAM a big factor on apps. I plan on getting alot of apps like MC:S, and Driver, that have very good graphics. Does the RAM effect how these apps play, and if it lags? Because I told my mom if I can't afford the 32GB, I would go ahead and get the 8GB for Christmas. What I don't want happening is she getting me the 8GB, and alot of the apps don't run as well.

If the RAM dosen't matter for apps, then what does it do? If the RAM is really just used for how many background apps you can run, well then that doesn't matter to me, because I won't be JailBreaking it. But is it used for Safari and YouTube? Because I go on the internet alot on my bros PSP3000, and it is slow as crap! So does it effect that also?

Thanks for any help!
  2. NinetyFour

NinetyFour Active Member

Device:
    iPhone 4 (Black)
    RAM = Random Access Memory (I think)

It DOES affect preformance of apps. If you (are jailbroken) and have like 4 3-D games running, it will be very slow.
  3. DeadlyD™

DeadlyD™ New Member

Device:
    iPhone 4 (Black)
    But if I'm not jailbroken? Because if I'm not jailbroken, and it still effects it, I want to tell my mom that I do not want the 8GB, because I'm only 13, and getting money is kinda hard. It not untill the summer that my BDay is, so I want to get what will work best for apps.
  4. NinetyFour

NinetyFour Active Member

Device:
    iPhone 4 (Black)
    If you're not jailbroken, the only apps you can run in the background (default apps that run in the background) are mail, Safari and iPod. The other apps and games will automatically shut down after you exit them, so technically speaking, no, the iPod's performance won't slow down because of RAM, UNLESS YOU HAVE SAFARI, IPOD AND MAIL ALL OPEN IT MIGHT SLOW IT DOWN A TOUCH.
  5. DeadlyD™

DeadlyD™ New Member

Device:
    iPhone 4 (Black)
    Ok so let me get this straight. As long as I don't have Music, Safari, and Mail open at the same time, it really won't lag? Also it won't effect the app at all, as long as I don't have them open?

Ok if that is right, then I'm ok with a 8GB, and I think I'll be ok to not run all those at once lol. Thanks for the help TwisteD
  6. Cydiaia

Cydiaia Banned

Device:
    iPhone
    my iphones 8 gig, jailbroken and works pretty fast imo.
  7. NinetyFour

NinetyFour Active Member

Device:
    iPhone 4 (Black)
    Yeah, the 8gb will suit you fine. But just remember, even if you close the Safari, iPod or Mail app, they still run in the background.

To completely shut down the Safari app on an unjailbroken iPod, press the bottom right icon (While you have Safari open) and press the red 'X' button to close all the current pages you have open. There should only be a blank white "Untitled" page open now. Now, if you press the home button, Safari shouldn't be running in the background. Otherwise, it will still continue to run.

As for the iPod and Mail app, I'm not sure how to completely shut it down, sorry.
  8. viperGTS

viperGTS Active Member

Device:
    4G iPod touch
    not to be mean or anything, but if your iPhone is running fast then a 3g 8gb should be even faster since it has a better processor or something... 412 MHz vs 533 MHz iirc... if that was even mean at all

Please Register or Log in to view images

edit: nvm about my question
  9. sk8er2859

sk8er2859 New Member

Device:
    3G iPod touch
    Safari takes a LOT of RAM. Up to 20 megs on my 3rd gen 8 GB. To "kill" it, hold the power button until you get the slider. Now hold the home button until that exits and you go back to the home screen. There, Safari is closed!
  10. NinetyFour

NinetyFour Active Member

Device:
    iPhone 4 (Black)
    Uhm, I don't think this works.... At least not for me.