Is SSH necessary for me?

Discussion in 'iPod touch 1.1.x Jailbreak' started by jaggedtoaster, Dec 24, 2007.

1. jaggedtoaster

jaggedtoaster New Member

Is SSH necessary for me? --NO MORE HELP NEEDED--

I will be receiving an iPod touch for Christmas tomorrow, and I have done lots of research on jailbreaking it. I already know the apps I want, and the order I want them in. So here goes my explanation:

In ipodtouchmaster's YouTube video on how to jailbreak 1.1.2, you have to use a program, and there is a box to check for SSH. I will not EVER use my computer (an FTP program) to mess around with files on my touch. Is it necessary that I have SSH on my iPod? I do plan on installing the iPhone apps using one of the repositories on Installer. If necessary, I could just hide the SSH app using Customize, but I do not want it on my touch if it serves no purpose to me.

So to sum it up, do I need SSH?

Thank you to whoever can help, and merry Christmas!
  2. Danls92

Danls92 Super Moderator Emeritus Staff Member

Device:
    iPhone 4 (Black)
    The only time you'd need SSH if you plan on getting everything from Installer is

1) If you want a theme that isn't on installer
    2) You want to put a program on that isn't in installer
    3) If you want to skin your iPod
    4) To remove the 3rd party application limit if you don't want to use Terminal

Other than that, I can't think of a reason why.
  3. thesmidge

thesmidge New Member

Device:
    3G iPod touch
    No, it isn't necessary, but if you want to make your own themes or own customize or even putting apps that you don't get on installer, I suggest you get it just in case. It can also sometimes be a lifesaver if you screw something up by accident. And you're also gonna need it to get NES, GBA, and PSX games on it. So yeah, get it anyway, even if you don't use it.
  4. Wesche

Wesche New Member

Device:
    2G iPod touch
    to add gba or psx4all games
  5. jaggedtoaster

jaggedtoaster New Member

Thank you for your help! I understand now. I can't wait to venture into the world of the iPod touch and jailbreaking tomorrow morning.
  6. iPlunder

iPlunder New Member

It doesnt take up much space so it wouldnt hurt. Better safe than sorry.
  7. Danls92

Danls92 Super Moderator Emeritus Staff Member

Device:
    iPhone 4 (Black)
    Just remember to turn it off when you aren't using it, because it kills the battery.
  8. barra

barra New Member

sorry to be yet another n00b, but how do you turn it off? can you just delete it after you're done with the programs that come with it?