Is self-fixing an ipod viable?

Discussion in 'iPod touch' started by Sephnroth, Nov 2, 2008.

1. Sephnroth

Sephnroth New Member

This is a hardware error not software. First the sob story: My washing machine was broken so for a few weeks I was doing washing at my parents. As such I had alot of clean clothes there and after work one day I was due to be going out and I was late. I ran to parents, got undressed leaving my work clothes on the floor of my old room, got into clean ones and ran out.

My beloved father then came along, saw my work clothes and presumed I brought yet more washing and very very kindly decided to wash them for me. Without checking the pockets. My iPod touch has never looked cleaner.

Anyway when I next found it the screen was just white. Backlight works. I left it to dry for a few weeks and when I came back it switched on and.. a picture! Joy of joys! Now most bizarely whenever I changed screens (like say I just unlocked it and it was switching to main menu or I selected music and it brought up the play lists, etc) it was fuzz out then come back. When on a screen interacting with it was perfect, scrolling and zooming etc - just changing menus caused it to go white again and only for a few seconds.

I used it for a few days like this and then it became perfect once more, no more fuzz even between screen changes! Until a few days ago when I went to leave work, put my coat on, went to turn on the ipod for the walk home and it was white. It stayed white. Its now been like that for a further two weeks - no picture at all.

Now if I turn it on and run my finger along where i remember the unlock slide bar being then I hear the click of it unlocking - touch screen still works! Just no picture

Please Register or Log in to view images

I think replacing the screen will do it. But £110 to get a shop to do it for me? ungh. If there is no way I can repair this one I would rather buy someones software/firmware bricked ipod and swap the screens out. Having never taken apart my beloved ipod however I do not know what sort of mounting it has - anyone fiddled and have any recommendations?

For the record I bought my touch (8gig) from amazon.co.uk in jan 2008 and to my knowledge have no warranty (certainly not one that covers washing machines

)

Thanks for any advice/help!
  2. Gitykins

Gitykins Banned

Q-tip
    Rubbing alcohol

Put end of Q-tip in rubbing alcohol and dry it off a little so it's only damp. Put Q-tip into headphone jack and rotate it around and up and down a bit. Take Q-tip out.

Return iPod to Apple to have them try to fix it. Based on your serial number, you'll see that you have 3 months of warranty left (https://selfsolve.apple.com/GetWarranty.do )(Serialnumber is the numbers/letters below the 8 GB box).

They will most likely give you a new one.
  3. rafarquhar

rafarquhar New Member

Be sure to clean the dock connector like this also.
  4. Sephnroth

Sephnroth New Member

when you say alcohol - some sort of pure alcohol bought from... somewhere, or will like vodka or something do? XD
  5. Gitykins

Gitykins Banned

What is the % alcohol content of the vodka, lol? I'm sure mostly anything with some type of alcohol in it above 20-30% will work, but I'd recommend using pure alcohol or ethanol.
  6. MrFairladyz

MrFairladyz Active Member

Device:
    iPod touch
    try rubbing alcohol also

or you could leave it in a bowl of rice for a day or two and see what happens...

but returning it would work too