Is Rock so bad?

Discussion in 'iOS Jailbreak & Cydia' started by nemof, Aug 8, 2010.

1. nemof

nemof New Member

Device:
    2G iPod touch
    I've heard so many bad things about Rock, mostly about its producers and the apps shoddy code etc, but out of interest I installed it yesterday.

I haven't had a chance to compare it in-depth to cydia, but it certainly doesn't seem too bad at first glance.

It's got a nicer design than Cydia (that's a personal preference of course), and is much, much faster.

The speed seems to be the greatest benefit to me.

Now, is there a reason I can't run the two installers side by side? If they use the same repos is there really a problem? Can Rock cause problems with Cydia, and vice versa?

I realise this has been asked before, but I found a lot of contradictory information when I searched on the web, and a lot of hyperbole mixed in with fact.

Thanks for your help.
  2. coolzhu

coolzhu New Member

after installing it. my iphone uses 10% battery instead of 1%!!!
  3. daconcerror

daconcerror Banned

Device:
    3G iPod touch
    Yeah, it really is that bad, it's badly made and not that much faster
  4. iMicky

iMicky New Member

Device:
    3G iPod touch
    Yeah. There really isn't a lot of difference between the two except Rock is faster at refreshing sources, but if you were that desperate for speed you could just install packages via terminal. Also, Cydia was made in hand with the jailbreak itself so you can be sure everything will be compatible, where as Rock is a separate app that just gets updated as new features become avaliable.

And I actually think Rock's design is really shoddy in comparison to Cydia, but that's just my opinion.

Please Register or Log in to view images

5. Mookler

Mookler Banned

Device:
    iPhone 4S (Black)
    I used cydia for a while and then switched to rock a few months ago. Not sure what all the hate for rock is about, the only difference i've noticed is that rock is faster. I have to stability issues, no battery issues, everything works fine
  6. riky2709

riky2709 Member

Device:
    iPhone 4S (Black)
    I personally think Rock is better, ever since i found it i have used it and never had any problem with it. I also love that i dont have to wait till is done refreshing packages...
  7. Blade19

Blade19 Member

Device:
    iPhone 4 (Black)
    Rock appears to be much much better at first, but after about a month of Rock crashing on you, apps not installing correctly, and some apps are not available in rock, you will take the more stable cydia again.
  8. Mookler

Mookler Banned

Device:
    iPhone 4S (Black)
    I think rock has crashed on my a grand total of 0 times, as well as had 0 failed installations in the last 4+ months I've been using it. Maybe I'm just lucky.
  9. riky2709

riky2709 Member

Device:
    iPhone 4S (Black)
    I have been using it for quite a long time now and still think is better though like you said i had some crashes but that was because i had too many thing running at once xD
  10. Communati0n

Communati0n New Member

Device:
    iPad 2 (Black)
    i like rock better cos cydia takes a while to even start up, and then it always tries to force me to update, and update stuffs up half the time