Is Ngmoco, inc. getting greedy?

Discussion in 'iTunes App Store Games & Apps' started by The UNtouchable One, Nov 23, 2009.

1. The UNtouchable One

The UNtouchable One New Member

Device:
    iPod touch
    I have several games from these guys that I always use. (Topple 1 and 2, Mazefinger and Eliminate.) I've noticed that in most of their game releases these days, they are asking for every little dollar you have. (For example, buying food for a virtual dog in Touch Pet Dogs.) And also, having to spend money in Eliminate. I mean, it's as if iPod Touch owners weren't already being robbed of every last penny. (Metaphorically, of course.) Apple already charges $10 to just upgrade the thing to put some feature on it which NOBODY will EVER use. And you have to upgrade because all of the apps are being upgraded as well.

I'm just curious to know if anyone else is noticing how greedy Ngmoco is getting.
  2. RoddieKieley

RoddieKieley New Member

Device:
    iPod touch
    Greed not the only motive?

While I can't specifically comment on ngmoco's decision making process for what to charge for and what not to charge for, nor on Apple's requirement to charge for their firmware upgrades which I believe they say is for 'legal' reasons, I can point to an interesting article that may be food for thought.

In iPhone Piracy: The Inside Story there is an interesting reference to something Alan Yu, VP of ngmoco had said:

"And, in a talk at GDC China in Shanghai, Alan Yu, VP at San Francisco-based ngmoco, characterized piracy on the Apple handheld as a big issue, with 50 to 90 percent piracy estimated in the first week on ngmoco titles."

So I think it's worth considering that greed alone may not be the only factor in guiding the decision making process at ngmoco.
  3. Link85

Link85 New Member

Device:
    2G iPod touch
    • Illegal/piracy-related discussions
    I'm curious as to why you feel you have to spend money on Eliminate.
    Ngmoco hasn't seen one dollar from me, nor will they ever and I'm still enjoying many of their titles.
  4. epqr

epqr Member

Device:
    iPod touch
    Why do you buy the upgrades if you never use the features ?
  5. The UNtouchable One

The UNtouchable One New Member

Device:
    iPod touch
    I see your point. I understand a bit better, but a huge majority of Apple's community (iTunes users.) think it's just a company being greedy. I get it now, but it comes back to a saying I heard. "With every 1 person buying the product, 5 more get it for free." I see their strategy and, while it is smart, it can also REALLY tick off some people.

That's not the point. My point is how much Apple nickel-and-dimes you until you've been squeezed dry. The firmware being brought has nothing to do with ngmoco, I just brought it up as an example. (I, personally, haven't bought it from Apple. I didn't steal it either. A friend of mine bought it, downloaded it, and upgraded his iPod touch. I just got lucky his is a 1st Gen. model, too. I was at his house at the time, so we upgraded my iPod Touch, too.

Please Register or Log in to view images

)
  6. Rebeldawg

Rebeldawg New Member

Device:
    3G iPod touch
    You gotta love how these companies come up with a statistic of 50 to
    90 percent without ever providing any concrete evidence that proves that the amount
    they claim has any basis to the truth. The truth is that only a very small percentage of
    the iphone or ipod touch user base has a jailbroken idevice and even then of that small
    percentile of users some of them don't use any cracked apps on their idevices as they
    jailbreak their idevices in order to use themes as well as third party apps from repos like
    the cydia store. In order to honestly take anything a company says when they pull a
    statistic out of their butt in order to make their claim seem legit without providing proof
    makes me wonder how far the company will go to blow things out of proportion in order
    to make it seem like they're suffering huge losses when infact they aren't.