Is my WiFi dying?

Discussion in 'iPod touch' started by Mindfield, Nov 20, 2007.

1. Mindfield

Mindfield New Member

*sigh* Figures. I used my Touch for about two weeks without any form of protection because I was still waiting for it to arrive. The first to arrive was an invisibleSHIELD, so I applied it. It involves the use of a water solution with a touch of soap to dip the shields in before applying. This made me nervous but I did it anyway and applied the front perfectly, and the back almost so, with a couple of small pockets of water trapped underneath (I guess I didn't squeegee enough.) It's a porous material though so it will evaporate through the shield in a few days (as it is currently doing). One little bubble was near the WiFi antenna though and it has since disappeared -- I fear possible into the minute crack around the plastic antenna cover.

Now, I've seen a teardown of this thing and the plastic covers the entire antenna - any water that might get in would, at worst, seep around the plastic area but probably wouldn't come in contact with the antenna itself because it's shielded by the plastic.

The problem is, my WiFi is really acting up right now. It only sees my AP if I'm within a direct line of sight, and within a few feet of it. It doesn't pick up any other wireless networks in my immediate area (it almost always picks up at least half a dozen.) Even when it finds network, it shows up with a strength of 1 bar and can't connect, not even if I hold it right up to the router. I've been at this for the last hour and so far no luck. So did the water get in there and is it semi-shorting or somehow muffling the antenna's ability to pick up a wireless network? Is it likely to evaporate eventually? I don't have a good tool to open this thing up with -- certainly nothing that won't damage the case -- and I'm worried that this will be a long term or permanent thing. It wasn't much water -- barely a drop, just what I wasn't able to squeegee out, and I'm not even completely sure it did get in there, but it's the only thing that has changed between yesterday when it was working (even with the shield applied) and today when it's not working, now that the shield has cured and that particular water bubble has disappeared.

For what it's worth, my router is working fine. Both my PDA, main computer and laptop connect just fine with full signal strength.

Help!
  2. aasimbeck

aasimbeck New Member

Device:
    iPhone 3GS (White)
    it sounds like you in a pretty unfortunate situation. i would call apple, but dont tell them about the case, i do not know anything about this case but try to remove it and send it in to apple, they should replace it for you, i would restore it if it is jailbroken as soon as possible to prevent apple from holding that against you, as far as im aware there is only a water damage sticker somewhere within the earbud jack. but remember its just a drop so i wouldnt really show any obvious damage. Good Luck!
  3. Logan

Logan New Member

yea i would try a restore if you jailbroke it it seems alot of people are having trouble with wifi after they jailbreak