Is my privacy safe?

Discussion in 'iPod touch Firmware 2.X Jailbreak' started by Kargo, Oct 31, 2008.

1. Kargo

Kargo Member

Device:
    iPad
    Hey Guys.. ive jailbroken my ipod, ive added sources in Cydia... I have the main one and a few others such as ZodTTD's and the one at "www.iphone.org.hk/apt" (for the VLC4iphone app) not to mention the ones that Cydia urges me to update.

I just wanted to know, as I use my jailbroken apps and sources along with the appstore apps and occassionally login to my emails, facebook and buy items using my ebay account with the ebay app - how safe am I, with these jailbroken apps and sources running alongside them and in the background?

Is there a big chance that they can steal my logins information or hack my account?
  2. cacman93

cacman93 Banned

Device:
    iPhone 3G (Black)
    nah man, most programs except Ipod? don't/can't run in the background, so there are no, stealing, or viruses out there that can hurt your ipod, just be smart, cause something can always happen.
  3. ryanlusk

ryanlusk Banned

4. Shadowriver

Shadowriver Active Member

Device:
    iPod touch
    JB apps can do anything so they can steal, only use trusted stuff (open-source etc.)
    AppStore apps are scanned by Apple for that, Aurora Faint is example, there was load when Apple discovered privacy leak in this app, but it was fixed (warn been added). So AppStore apps are safe, but they can harm a little before Apple will discover privacy leak :>
  5. Muffin15

Muffin15 Member

Device:
    3G iPod touch
    there's nothing a restore can't fix
    so, even if you do get a bug, its no biggy
  6. pluto198

pluto198 New Member

Device:
    iPhone 4 (Black)
    A restore isn't going to fix stolen passwords and hacked accounts.

Please Register or Log in to view images

7. Spartigus

Spartigus New Member

Device:
    iPhone 3GS (Black)
    Well jailbroken apps run as root, meaning they can access any part of your iphone/ipod. Now as alot of people said most apps dont run in the background, but when apps are running, behind the scenes they could be stealing your passwords for almost anything (since it is often stored in the app itself so people dont have to type in their details). They could also be scanning your contacts list for all the details, scanning your text messages, email accounts, call logs, literally anything on your ipod/iphone that is stored on the actual device. But like people said, only install things from trusted places and you should be fine.