is my ipod touch bricked?

Discussion in 'iPhone' started by kloish, May 5, 2010.

1. kloish

kloish New Member

Hey everyone, i would like to ask for possible solutions to my problem... not a thread to introduce more problems that have been addressed by 8 gazzillion people, just this one... if you know how to fix it, please explain...

sooo... i jailbroke my ipod using blackra1n a while ago, thinking that i shouldnt ever have a problem with it, cos it hadn't even ever frozen, back then

since then, it been working great, untill a few days ago, when it was sitting on my computer desk, uncharged, when it fell off and turned off. i thought it was wierd, and it had never happened before, but, it was on low charge...

i picked it up and tryed to turn it on, just like every other time i had turned it on before, hold the power button...
    wrong! this didn't work... why am i not supprised?

so, ahh well, its not all bad...
    sleep/wake/power button and home button... 5 seconds, 10 seconds, yay!... or not, a single flash of the apple logo appered then dissapered...
    heres where it starts to get wierd

Please Register or Log in to view images

so im beginning to think its a goner... i try it again... yes, its plugged in this time... nothing
    so i google my problem, and with so many results, i open the first page in different tabs, flick through them all, and not a single one actually describes my problem.

but i do see a single response saying to put it into DFU mode, so i try it... power/home... apple logo... let go of the power, and wait... yay! it didnt turn off! it went into DFU mode, as i had thought, not thinking anything different, i let go of the home button in order to run blackra1n (as that will boot an ipod/phone from DFU mode) and it turns off, immediately

so i do the same thing, but i hold the home button and run blackra1n while holding it, i brings up geohots face, loads, darkens (this is all completely normal) but doesnt load any further...

this is about as far as i've gotten, leaving me clueless, im going to try recovery ASAP, but right now, i cant download anything... PLEASE HELP
  2. deadlyvirus

deadlyvirus New Member

Device:
    4G iPod touch
    Restore, upgrade to 3.1.3, use Spirit.
    Also, impossible to brick an iTouch
    Also, wrong section.
  3. kloish

kloish New Member

thanks

i wasn't too sure about spirit as i havem't looked into it very much
    sorry about the wrong section bit, i'm new to this forum

EDIT: is there any way that i could use spirit without using wifi or will i have to pay another 1 1/2 hour visit to mcdonalds tediousely slow internet (wich im fine with, it would just be nice to know if there is a way

ty forr everyones help

------------------double post merged------------------
    hey, sorry for double post...

i just downloaded the firmware and restored it, and now my ipod is clearly turned on, as it is making the "just plugged in and charging" sound, but it wont show anything on the screen help???

4. maruikia

maruikia New Member

Same Problem

I have the same problem, same situation, but my ipod will not turn on in DFU mode or whatever it was. I have tried everything thats possible to try and turn it on, but I cannot keep it on to connect it to my computer. It does not charge, doesnt turn on, doesnt do anything besides flash the apple logo when you push the power button.
  5. bamhm182

bamhm182 Member

Device:
    3G iPod touch
    Make sure your iPod is plugged in while you're trying to put it into DFU mode. Also, I find it helps to have iTunes open while putting it into DFU mode as it will tell you when it is in it. DFU mode sometimes takes a while to get into, just make sure you know how to get it into DFU mode(hold power and home until screen goes off, release power button, wait) If it doesn't work, keep trying it until it does.

Also, deadlyvirus said that the iPod Touch is unbrickable. Somehow that seems illogical... What would the iPod do if (god forbid) someone SSHd in and deleted EVERYTHING? (or tried to anyways)
  6. Naveen121

Naveen121 Well-Known Member

Device:
    2G iPod touch
    If this were to happen (SSHd and deleted EVERY SINGLE FILE from the iDevice), then because the Operating System is also deleted the iDevice would not even boot up. By pressing the Power Button you would turn it on and the white Apple logo would appear (maybe) and that's it. However, the iDevice developers at Apple put a whole separate chip in the iDevices that solely controls the DFU Mode function. So you would just DFU Mode restore your iDevice. So this is why I never really understood "Bricking," because you can always DFU Mode restore or Force Recovery at least. (Unless if you were able to somehow connect, view, and then delete the DFU Mode Software too. But that's almost impossible unless you are a developer that knows exactly what you are doing.) So, I hope this was helpful!
  7. karl_me

karl_me New Member

Device:
    iPod touch
    I have the same problem with an unbroken 1st gen touch, i can power on and get the white apple, i can plug into my put into computer and put in DFU mode and get the usb itunes logo but no recognisation between my ipod and computer or itunes. it is deffinately the ipod as computer and itunes work fine with my 3 daughters ipod's 3rd gens, one of them i restored today. im stuck without a paddle any ideas. much apreciated