Is music bought through iTunes still protected with Apple's FairPlay DRM system?

Discussion in 'iTunes' started by SilentWalker, Dec 27, 2009.

1. SilentWalker

SilentWalker Retired Moderator

Device:
    2G iPod touch
    I wanted to buy some songs on iTunes (for the first time), but I heard that if it's Apple Protected tracks, you can't play it on non-Apple devices/products.

I also read that Apple stopped the DRM protection system in 2007, but I read contradicting articles also. I am a bit confused.

However, I downloaded the iTunes Fall 2009 Sampler and all the tracks were protected. Does this mean that if I download an album/individual tracks from iTunes, they will be protected?

Is there a way to get an unprotected version on iTunes? I heard you can get it with iTunes Plus or something, but you have to pay more. What is this about, how much more do I have to pay, and how can I get it (unprotected audio)?

A lot of questions, but please explain

Please Register or Log in to view images

Thank you.
  2. Plasmah

Plasmah New Member

Device:
    3G iPod touch
    I don't think they are cause I have the tracks I bought from Itunes and was able to copy them to my Lg Lx9200 phone and even reincode them.
  3. brendanm

brendanm New Member

Device:
    iPhone 3G (White)
    Is it just me or back whenever the iPod Touch 2G came out they started selling DRM free content? Then from what I understand they got rid of DRM protected media completely, leaving basically everything to DRM free.

Samplers and stuff might be DRM protected though, but I know I was able to put my Eminem -Relapse (Deluxe Edition) onto my friends LG Rumor and I've burnt numerous CD's with it... Everyone wants a little relapse!
  4. SilentWalker

Device:
    2G iPod touch
    Thank you everyone for all responses
  5. brendanm

brendanm New Member

Device:
    iPhone 3G (White)
    Was I correct? I'm curious myself if I got the understanding right.
  6. b-mac 39

b-mac 39 Well-Known Member

Device:
    iPhone 4S (White)
    The DRM free music is called iTunes Plus.
  7. SilentWalker

Device:
    2G iPod touch
    Another question -

What format is music bought from iTunes in? Is it AAC or mp3 or some other Apple proprietary format? And I mean regular track off of regular iTunes, not iTunes Plus tracks?

And please don't say, "I think..."; I want someone who knows, 100% sure, and actually had experience doing so.

Thank you.
  8. Joshsipod1994

Joshsipod1994 New Member

Device:
    2G iPod touch
    i think its mp4
  9. SilentWalker

Device:
    2G iPod touch
    Man, you're funny...

Please Register or Log in to view images

But aside from that...are you sure? Because I am planning to buy an iTunes gift card, but only if the music format is mp3. Any other format is not universal, because I need the music to be able to play on my cheap MP3 player (which only plays mp3's), and other things too.