iOS 3.1 Is jailbreaking really THAT bad for apple?

Discussion in 'iOS Jailbreak & Cydia' started by ageis1, Sep 15, 2009.

1. ageis1

ageis1 Member

Device:
    3G iPod touch
    I can see the clear reasons why Apple doesn't like jail breaking (free thirdparty apps etc..) but to be honest, is jailbreaking really that bad for Apple? I don't know about you guys, but the fact that I knew the iPod touches could be jail broken was a a big influence on my decision to buy one...It turns them into so much more than what is already. Sure, they will lose a bit of money on apps, but I would think that they would make much, much, more from increased sales due to them being able to be jailbroken. With this said, IMO it would be easier for Apple to quit making poisons job so hard, and just accept the fact that jailbroken iPods will increase their appeal.
    Do you guys think similar, or am I just an idiot?

Please Register or Log in to view images

(I'm ready to get flamed

)
  2. Hexane

Hexane New Member

Device:
    4G iPod touch
    Well, i think they would loose more money because of evil apps then they would of the appeal of the device being jailbroken.

Apple was pretty much fine with jailbreaking up until 2.0 come out.
  3. iamcanadian

iamcanadian New Member

Its called a profit margin, apple makes more margin on software/accessories sales then hardware sales, same with every company. cause the price to make an app is a lot less of making a hardware device, same with cameras, game consoles, any consumer grade electronics.
  4. ageis1

ageis1 Member

Device:
    3G iPod touch
    Oh, thanks for that...I never really thought about it that way before. Thankyou =)
  5. studangerous

studangerous Super Moderator Emeritus Staff Member

Device:
    iPhone 4 (Black)
    HAcked technology increases the appeal of the technoılgy to wider base, which means larger sales. Take the Playstation 2 as a point in case. At least with hacked iPod touch and iPhones the real benefit is opening the device to 3rd party operator use and a huge homebrew community, whereas, unfortunately, most hacks on consoles and other tech has resulted in an explosion of piracy on that device.

While App Store piracy is an issue I think we can summise that this is only the crux of Apple's argument and not the backbone of it. The backbone is that the iPhone and iPod touch have been deigned an built to tolerances and jailbreaking them increases stresses on internal components that could lead to problems and early failure. Add to this that Apple are power and control hungry and jailbreaking reduces their influence over the tech you have in your hand. Finally there is a security issue to consider, especially on iPhones. At the end of the day extra sales may not be enough to offset the uncertain risk that hacking can create to your product line. So either you try and prevent hacking in some way or you make your devices more open and Apple choose the former method.

Without the jailbreak Apple wouldn't have been forced to bring the App Store solution on line as quickly as they did. I don't think this was a part of their initial business plan but came as an afterthought to combat the rise of hacking and homebrew. The bottom line is a windfall gain for them really and they should be thanking the hackers for the push.

Apple has never been fine with jailbreaking. They're not happy with anything that risks their control over the tech.
  6. 4NewHop3

4NewHop3 Well-Known Member

Device:
    5G iPod touch
    well they get more sales on apps then they do with the actual device (iPod touch whichever Gen) so it will be a bad business move....besides no company likes there software all hacked

7. Danny84

Danny84 Member

Device:
    iPhone 4S (Black)
    I would say that the main reason Apple is against jailbreaking is because it enables the downloading of illegal apps such as I*********
  8. TooGoodAtCOD4

TooGoodAtCOD4 New Member

Device:
    2G iPod touch
    Couldn't agree more. The fact that they can be jailbroken does nothing but increase their popularity, thus providing a wider target market. This inturn makes Apple realize profits that would have never been seen without jailbreaking. So I definitely think it is counter-productive for Apple to make jailbreaking as hard as they can possibly make it because they are trying to push out a market that they won't acknowledge.
  9. aj514

aj514 New Member

Device:
    2G iPod touch
    jailbreaking is bad for apple because of illegal downloading (music,movies,apps).
    everything else about jailbreaking helps apple.
    recently i've gotten bored with of my itouch, whats crazy is i got it just last christmas.
    the possibility of jailbreaking has brought back my interest in my itouch.
    itouch & iphones seem to be the only devices without a wide broad of customization,
    even just changing the backround is'nt possibile without JBing.
  10. Sumea

Sumea New Member

Device:
    2G iPod touch
    First, I say only apps. If apple would dislike piracy hard way, they wouldn't let you sync the devices with nothing more than stuff gotten from iTunes store. So by device meanings, they have turned blind eye on that front like every other MP3 manufacturer has done.

You are right that main menu background cannot be changed but lockscreen background can be changed. - This though IS a really really minor personization for the device and doesn't really satisfy the user.

Apple's ways had a point when the devices were like iPod classic and iPod nano - You really do not wish themes on those any way. With iPhone and also the 97% similar device iPod Touch end user really wishes more than just it.

In end Apple's reason are what they say, did it hurt them much or not. I think Jailbreak IS in same line with modding of a game console: It opens it in variety of use, but also in way where there is also stuff that support making pirated software to work.

This CAN be seen in variety of things: PS3 for example has wide media support what was already achieved in PS2, only through modding though. Same thing as appstore started... I BET my money on that it wouldn't gotten the apple so worked up on it without jailbreak app community in 1.x firmwares.