Is Jailbreaking Really Needed?

Discussion in 'iPod touch Firmware 2.X Jailbreak' started by Aduumzor, Jul 19, 2008.

1. Aduumzor

Aduumzor New Member

Device:
    iPod touch
    "Sometimes average users need a bit of a slap to get them to comprehend why they're doing something...."
    - Aduumzor (I don't know if the quotes been actually used but its mine now

Please Register or Log in to view images

)

Recently Pwnage 2.0 was released to Mac users a couple hours ago. I didn't notice until tonight that it was released. When I found out Pwnage 2.0 was released I hopped on the band wagon and started the download as fast as possible with speeds at 15 kbs/s. I didn't realize what I was doing until the download was down at 67%. Why was I downloading this? First I don't have a Mac, I have a Hackintosh instead but I won't go into that. Second, I'm truthfully admitting, that I don't need a jailbreak.

Like really, when I was back in the jailbroken 1.1.x (replace x with whatever number from 1 - 4) I was joyed with excitement. Playing games on my iPod, now that was epic. The applications were alright, but after time played out, I ended up barely using them, just something to slow down the OS and clutter my springboard. The application I really ever utilized was the Maps Offline as a very cheap map source. The rest just sat there, doing nothing. I'm not saying jailbreaking is a wrong thing, surely for iPhone users jailbreaking is only the beginning process of getting their precious mobile phone unlocked. But really other than that, it's lost its rep.

Wasn't Installer/Cydia the temporary replacement for the App Store until Apple allowed third legal distribution of third party applications? Now that the App Store is here, we can all tell that its going to beat down Installer/Cydia in the long run.The quality is just too superior than jailbroken applications. Little to no applications ever released on Installer or Cydia have the near quality of some of the good applications currently in the App Store. But what about emulators you ask? Emulators only bring pirated software and games, like we don't have enough on our iPods? But what about customization? That's probably one of the biggest reason anybody would go to jailbreaking because you can customize your baby. I'll give you that. "But what about cracking App Store apps?" Your despicable for saying. You've bought an iPhone/iPod Touch thats at least a $200+ piece of hardware. You're saying you can't squeeze a couple dollars to get some top grade applications? Give me a break! That's not only pirating but that's being senseless. More items to add to the pirated list of music, movies, and emulation software?

I realize now that I don't need a jailbreak unless something extraordinary comes up. App Store fulfilled my request for third party applications and I don't need to go and risking my iPod to get more pirated items on it. Pay for an application once, it'll feel good. Not just for the developer but for the satisfaction that the application will give you and how high the quality is.

In no way I'm against jailbreaking. I just see that Installer/Cydia is more wrong than right. Jailbreaking unlocks limits to controlling your iPod/iPhone. From tests before, we see that jailbreaking sometimes messes with iPods giving them bad results. I see why Apple controls what goes into their products. Why you can't just buy parts and build a Mac or an iPod. The software is amazing, and shouldn't be tempered with for absolute fun. Apple tries to give users the maximum efficiency their products can go and it works.

Again, I say I'm not against jailbreaking but rather see it as a more of an iPhone directed feature for mostly unlocking rather than an iPod Touch.
  2. Khaos

Khaos Well-Known Member

Device:
    iPhone 4 (Black)
    I agree with you but the point of 2.0 jailbreak is to give you FULL control, apps like pocket touch aren't allowed and J/B gives endless possibilities...

Themes, more apps, in the end, I am still on 1.1.4 (Gonna J/B 2.0 tomorrow) on a itouch but you are right, what do I use? Nothing really...

But if I were to go through all the trouble of jailbreaking... I would do it only for a background (Themes) The apps suck and are probably never gonna be ported (They can just put it on the app store) Until a toolchain comes out

Thats all...

(P.S. I'm Back, been gone for a while but I'm Back...)
  3. themerceny

themerceny New Member

Device:
    iPhone 3GS (White)
    i am gonna jailbreak my iphone 3g when i can customize my background, icons, and add the apps that don't get approved by apple to be on the app store
  4. therobinsonator

therobinsonator New Member

i just say why the hell not y not have appstore and installer seems dumb not too
  5. BlueLynk

BlueLynk New Member

honestly.. i only want MXtube... i like downloading the youtube videos and being able to watch what i download even when im not in wifi range since I also have a Ipod Touch.. thats the only reason i want Jailbreak everything else that i had made my Ipod act crazy
  6. Cyanidepoison

Cyanidepoison Active Member

If you want control, you jailbreak. Without jailbreaking, you lose control.

End of story.
  7. ipodhacker3090

ipodhacker3090 Member

Device:
    iPad
    Dude!?...are u f****** seriuos....jailbreaking is far better than the app store....u sound like a spoiled *bratt*.....thats right i went there!!
    ------------------double post merged------------------
    Thank You....

8. neodude237

neodude237 New Member

I am hoping the original TTR is ported so I can use my library, flash lite maybe?, THEMES, mxtube, the MusicScrobbler app that I could run in the background, emulators, etc, don't get me wrong, I like the app store, but it doesn't offer a few perks jailbreaking did, and combining the 2 is just great

9. Blackcode

Blackcode New Member

Device:
    iPod touch
    I recently bought 2.0 and i was fascinated by the smoothness of the system that followed. As the article pointed out..the appstore and the 2.0 firmware opens up a big window of possibility for not only the users, but also developers.

The only thing missing from the appstore for the time being is a software like summerboard and I'm sure that will be available pretty soon...
  10. bozeefus

bozeefus New Member

Device:
    iPhone 3GS (Black)
    why pay when i can get it for free?