Is jailbreak timing important?

Discussion in 'iPod touch' started by Shrike, Feb 20, 2010.

1. Shrike

Shrike New Member

Device:
    iPad 3
    Should I jailbreak a 'clean' iPod or should I get everything installed and set up the way I like it before jailbreaking? I'll backup first of course.

Also, what happens if I jailbreak, then unjailbreak? Will I lose any apps or data? Can you do a backup as normal whilst jailbroken? Will 'unjailbreaking' force me up to 3.1.3? (I know how to downgrade so it wouldn't be the end of the World but I'd rather avoid it).
  2. kingcoolryan

kingcoolryan Member

Device:
    iPad w/ 3G
    i dont get your question... with my ignorence i will help anyway
    ahhh timing if u meen like when you first get your ipod and its blank or when you have your songs/apps,etc. no it doesnt matter. backup will backup all of your app data (i think) yes you can backup while jailbrocken... if your ipod gets stuff( e.g hardware problem) and you need to take it to apple you should set up your ipod as a new one before taking it to apple. also you would need to restore- which you would do a "dfu restore" (google it).... that last part wasn't necessary i just wanted to say it

Please Register or Log in to view images

enjoy
  3. ibizaGTi

ibizaGTi New Member

Device:
    iPhone 4 (Black)
    It is generally better to jailbreak with a freshly restored iPod. This will increase your chance of the jailbreak being successful, and avoid you wasting the time to set up your iPod if the JB goes wrong.
    To "unjailbreak" you will need to restore. There is no reason you cannot restore to the iPod2,1_3.1.2_7D11_Restore.ipsw file you would use to downngrade, avoiding going to 3.1.3 altogether.
    If you doe unjailbreak, your iPod will be freshly restored, so you be completely empty. You can then just resync to your iTunes to get your stuff back. Just make sure you set the iPod up as a new iPod, and do not restore from backup, as that would put a lot of JB data back onto the iPod.
  4. kingcoolryan

kingcoolryan Member

Device:
    iPad w/ 3G
    i jailbroke my friends ipod in june last year and she had it for a while and it was perfectly fine... ive had no problems at all (except for updating to 3.1.2 and not restoring

Please Register or Log in to view images

)
  5. ibizaGTi

ibizaGTi New Member

Device:
    iPhone 4 (Black)
    Yeh thats cool. I've Jailbroken several iPods/iPhones, varying between newly restored and already set up. In general, it is better to advise people to clean restore when possible, as obviously the JB can mess the files up etc.
  6. Shrike

Shrike New Member

Device:
    iPad 3
    Thanks guys. Your answers are really helpful, just what I needed to know.
  7. DEATHMASTER

DEATHMASTER New Member

Device:
    2G iPod touch
    Why when i jailbreak my ipod touch (2g) and i going to cydia and download redsnow and then my ipod touch going to reboot and then its holding on apple logo
    pls help me
  8. spoonforknife

spoonforknife Retired Moderator

You don't download redsn0w from cydia. That's an application for your computer to jailbreak your iPod. Instead, use blackra1n. Connect your iPod and simply hit 'Make it Ra1n," and be done with it.