is jail breaking 2.1 with quick pwn safe (ipod touch 2.1)

Discussion in 'iPod touch Firmware 2.X Jailbreak' started by keyboarder, Sep 19, 2008.

1. keyboarder

keyboarder Banned

is it?
  2. intopuddles

intopuddles New Member

Device:
    2G iPod touch
    I had a jailbroken 2.0.1 that I used with WinPWN.

When I tried upgrading the firmware to 2.1 before using the new QuickPWN, iTunes failed. Now I have to restore my entire iPod... If you don't mind having to possibly restore your iPod, and have a backup of all your stuff, it's probably worth a go.
  3. itouchnathan

itouchnathan New Member

Device:
    iPhone 3GS (Black)
    Some people die from over exposure to Quickpwn, so use at your own risk

Please Register or Log in to view images

4. Jarlath

Jarlath Retired Moderator

Just remember to upgrade to Firmware 2.1 first, and follow the instructions to the letter.
  5. peezi

peezi New Member

hey did i read right?

I'm just wondering I'm always trying to stay up to date with the firmwares and jailbreaks and i am loyal to the jailbreak! but I'm just wondering if I update to 2.1 can I keep all my apps. and is the process of the 2.1 quickpwn the same as the 2.0?
  6. Jarlath

Basically, but the new QuickPWN is prettier and shows the status of the jailbreak on the iPod. Also as far as apps go, App Store ones resync if you sync your iPod or restore the backup. Jailbreak ones from Cydia need to be reinstalled, although applications like APTBackup can simplify matters.
  7. peezi

peezi New Member

will i lose all my media....music/photos/audiobooks whatsosever if i update...I really haven't done this without it already being restored.
  8. Danls92

Danls92 Super Moderator Emeritus Staff Member

Device:
    iPhone 4 (Black)
    I generally restore my iPod to factory settings before a jailbreak just to make sure. While it might be a pain, I've never had any problems with any jailbreak, and I think it is worth the hassle of reloading all of my media not to have to troubleshoot for hours.

Generally speaking, unless you don't follow the instructions you'll be fine. However, there are millions of different configurations of computers, and there's always the tiny chance that something can go wrong. The jailbreak is well worth any risk, especially since you can always just restore.
  9. peezi

peezi New Member

i know that but i thought quickpwn doesn't need to be restored....
  10. Jarlath

It doesn't need a restore to Custom Firmware, no. However, it does seem to need you to have just upgraded to Firmware 2.1 or something - and if you DO have problems with the QuickPWN failing for some reason or another, then just restore to a clean, factory-fresh state and THEN QuickPWN it as there won't be any leftover programs on the iPod or weird changes to the firmware to cause a problem with QuickPWN.

Otherwise, it won't touch your /var directory where your music is stored, if you did an Upgrade from in iTunes to 2.1 and then did the QuickPWN afterwards. Just be prepared to do some cleaning of your /var/stash folder if you had 2.0.x on there before.