Is it worth it?

Discussion in 'iPod touch' started by NewEngland, Jun 29, 2009.

1. NewEngland

NewEngland New Member

Hey,

I am in the market for a new (and my first) PMP that has wifi. I am deciding between the Ipod Touch, and the Archos 5.

A few questions: As most of us know, Apple has seemed to like releasing to models of ipods in the first weeks of September. What are the chances of a new Ipod touch (Generation 3) coming this September? I know there are rumors of a larger tablet netbook type thing; what are the chances something new or updated arrives this september in the same price range? (At or below $250?) Basically, is it worth buying in a few weeks, or waiting 2 months more in the hopes of a new model?

2) I have a large music and media library, larger than 8 or 16 or 32 GB. If I go for the Itouch, I would likely get the 8GB, with the hopes that the Simplify Media app will serve me well. For anyone familiar with it, does it work well?

I assume you must be connected to the internet to use the app's abilities...If I were to listen to the music with the app, online, medium volume low-energy display, how long would the battery go for? If music on the hard drive will go for maybe 24 hours, will listening to streamed music online last only, maybe, 5 hours?

3) Does jailbreaking affect battery life?

Any help you can give would definitely be appreciated. Thank you in advance.
  2. leadergo

leadergo Active Member

1) Most likely, there will be a 3rd gen iPod touch. It may not be worth getting if it can't be jailbroken. Its a late time to buy an iPod Touch now, but we're not sure if the new one can be jailbroken.

2) I think they may abandon the 8GB models like how they did with the 3GS. But for Simplify Media app, it either works or its not on the App Store. Thats Apple's new rule for 3.0.

3) Jailbreaking only adds stuff. It doesn't affect with anything else. What affects battery life would be certain Cydia apps like Backgrounder and Winterboard.

Hope that helps.
  3. NewEngland

NewEngland New Member

Thanks a lot leadergo. Does anyone else have any input on what they think Apple's plans on for September? And can anyone give an estimate on how long the touch's battery would last using an app that uses wifi, just to stream music?
  4. shotgunpet

shotgunpet New Member

Tell you what I have an archos 5 coming...and also getting an ipod touch...so i can tell you which one side by side i like...haha i was in the same dilema
  5. -Xi-

-Xi- Banned

Device:
    iPod touch
    Hopefully that answers your questions.

Please Register or Log in to view images

6. korvmannen

korvmannen New Member

Device:
    2G iPod touch
    get the ipod touch. It has a good appstore and can do almost everything the archos can.
  7. NewEngland

NewEngland New Member

Once again, thanks for all the help guys. Shotgunpet, please keep me posted. I am especially interested in how the wifi range stack up between the two.

I was recently trying to make a final decision, and was weighing which would be more important to me; video or wifi. Apple wins the wifi, archos wins video, not just the screen but mainly the video formats supported.

Which leads me to one more question: For some reason, I feel like someone once told me they got their Itouch to play Xvid videos. Is there a way, through jailbreaking or something, to get actually get an itouch to play xvid and/or avi videos?

I have access to these, and frankly the lack of support from the itouch is its breaking point for me. I know there are programs that can transfer video types to ipod, but on my dinosaur computer, a single movie takes 12+ hours to do this (no joke...it goes frame by frame). Any ideas?