Is it the right time to buy an iPod 3G?

Discussion in 'iPod touch' started by Darkdoom, Mar 26, 2010.

1. Darkdoom

Darkdoom New Member

Device:
    iPod touch
    Hello folks,

after my iPod Touch 1G 8gb died end of last year i still haven't bought another one. Now i have to make tough decision.

iPod Touch 3G 8GB ~170€
    iPod Touch 3g 32GB ~250€
    waiting for iPad ~600€ (maybe?) +1-2 Month
    waiting for other tablet devices ~400€ - 800€ +4-8 Month
    iPod Touch 4G ??? price? release? jailbreak?

WHAT SHOULD I DO?

As there is the news that geohot might have found a way to jailbreak all 3G iPods (including the iPod Touch 3G 32GB MC Modell with probably the new 3.1.3 firmware when shipped?) i am still more confused

Please Register or Log in to view images

PS: Most important thing is the jailbreak, i want to have the free decision what software to put on my bought devices

Geetings and hoping for your help
  2. br0adband

br0adband New Member

Best advice:

Wait awhile, at least through maybe the first/second week of April and see what happens with the iPad. Personally I wish whoever has whatever exploit would just drop it and move on; Apple will never create something that some creative person won't find a way around (not me, of course, I don't have that kind of talent) but...

If you're on the wire for a decision, wait a while and see what happens. If you just want something cheap to listen to tunes on the go, grab a Sansa Clip+ - there's nothing that comes close to it in terms of sound quality, and it's really cheap in terms of pricing.

But as for the iPod touches, if I had the cash right now today I wouldn't go out and buy one (thinking about getting an Archos 5 Android tablet currently). I have a 3rd gen iPt 32GB w/3.1.3 on it that, while still useful to some degree, isn't worth the frustration anymore.

Only you can decide what to do, of course...
  3. Darkdoom

Darkdoom New Member

Device:
    iPod touch
    Thank you for your advice

As I live in Germany the iPad wont surface before end of April (at least in local stores and i want to hold this thing in my hands before spending so much money). The second question is: with or without umts? .. as there seems to be no company in germany offering 3FF cards .. at least now.

Thanks for the tip with the sanca clip, but i want something more, at least surfing on the web.

I enjoyed the touchscreen of my first gen iPod touch very much so the Archos should be just as smooth as the iPod.

I will check out some youtubes and reviews of the Archos 5.

Greetings
    Darkdoom
  4. br0adband

br0adband New Member

If you're interested in the Archos 5 Android tablet, pay very close attention to the reviews because Archos, making a typical mistake like so many other companies, has two sets of devices out:

- the original Android 5 tablet, which runs a custom Linux distro that Archos itself created
    - the newer device which is also called the Archos 5 which is the same size, offers similar options for storage (either 8/16/32GB versions with Flash-RAM or hard drive based models from 160GB to 500GB)

So, a lot of reviews will be located if you search for Android 5 - the point is that you need to ensure that what you're reading or looking for is the newer Android powered device/tablet.

If you look at pics of the devices, the older Android 5 non-Android tablet just says "Archos 5" on the front bezel at the bottom (under the screen). The newer device, with the Android OS, has "Android 5 Internet Tablet" on the bottom.

Of course, just looking at the display is usually a good way to know what you're seeing: the Android device has the menu slider along the right edge and the address bar at the top of the screen.

They look similar but they're not. The newer Android OS device is the one to get, definitely.

Hope this helps...
  5. Darkdoom

Darkdoom New Member

Device:
    iPod touch
    Thank you very much. At least i found the right Version on Amazon

A few things i am still wondering (after reading some amazon review)

- How long will the battery last? Some people report poor running-Times
    - How fast is the Processor (maybe compared to the iPod Touch 3G or iPhone 3GS?
    - Do i have full access to the market place and all apps?

Never noticed this device, altough it is out since last year?
  6. br0adband

br0adband New Member

Since this is an iPod touch-centric forum (with some discussion of other devices in other subforums), it might be best to head over to http://forum.archosfans.com/ for the info on the Archos devices.

Good luck...
  7. Darkdoom

Darkdoom New Member

Device:
    iPod touch