Is it safe to use windex on the screen?

Discussion in 'iPod touch' started by Swifty01, Jan 6, 2009.

1. Swifty01

Swifty01 New Member

My screen has gotten all gunky from my roommates dirty hands. Think its safe to use a small amount of windex to clean it off? The little cleaning cloth they gave me isn't doing the trick.

Good god, this is a dumb question.
  2. gibbsy24

gibbsy24 New Member

Device:
    2G iPod touch
    im not sure but i found licking the screen, then using the cloth is good, and has no downsides

Please Register or Log in to view images

3. Swifty01

Swifty01 New Member

Licking the screen, huh? But then I'd be licking the dirty work residue from my friends hands off my screen...The horror!
  4. joorowned

joorowned New Member

ya its fine, its glass. personally i steam the screen with my breath and wipe it down with my shirt.
  5. B2TheEYo

B2TheEYo New Member

Glass, yes - typical LCD screens, NEVER!

On typical/generic glossy/matte finish screens (like those unprotected ones on laptops and desktop monitors) if you use Windex, the ammonia (spelling?) inside the product will cause the screen to have a 'yellowish' tint. Strongly discourage using anything that has ammonia in this on a screen (unless it's glass covered, like the iPod/iPhone).

Just get some paper towel, fold it up nicely into a square, soak it and swipe it over your screen if you got a whole bunch of sticky crap on it. Otherwise using a Microfiber cloth (like the one included with the iPod or ones used for eye glasses) will do the trick.
  6. Coasterboi

Coasterboi New Member

Device:
    iPhone 3GS (Black)
    A paper towel might scratch the screen and/or leave debris. Use a soft polishing cloth.
  7. milkman

milkman New Member

Device:
    2G iPod touch
    some ipods come equipped with slots on the right of the screen where you can see light coming through i would suggest it take a closer look at your ipod before doing anything drastic

Maybe try damping a wash cloth wipe a few times then hit it with the microfiber
  8. NickPod

NickPod Member

Device:
    iPhone 4S (Black)
    A bit of an off-topic question, but can the microfiber cloth be washed and still work just as good, or does it have a certain chemical/cleaner in it?

Thanks.
  9. steincj

steincj Member

Device:
    iPhone 4 (Black)
    It's called an iPod "Touch," not an iPod "Lick." If you must use tounge, undock for safety . . .
  10. milkman

milkman New Member

Device:
    2G iPod touch
    microfiber cloths can be washed with no ill effects