Is it safe to rename the folders that apps are stored in?

Discussion in 'iOS Jailbreak & Cydia' started by yungl1nk, Jul 26, 2009.

1. yungl1nk

yungl1nk New Member

I otter visit my app folders (for various reasons) via ifile or ssh but it's very difficult to find specefic apps because their folders are composed of like a million random letters and numbers! So I would like to know if it's safe to rename those folders just so I can make it easier on myself when browsing my files. Thanks
  2. Dust

Dust New Member

Device:
    2G iPod touch
    umm, i dont think so. but hey, give it a shot and tell us how it turns out! (if you dont mind risking your app that is)
  3. pwnthe2G

pwnthe2G Member

Device:
    4G iPod touch
    you dont have to risk the app... press rename and copy the name and paste it into anything.. rename the app to whatever the hell you want lol and reboot, try to open it and see what happens... if it crashes go find the original name and rename it back
  4. Schtac

Schtac Member

Device:
    2G iPod touch
    If you rename the folder of a file you will mess it, because it´s like a computer, the app in the springboard is a shortcut, so if you rename the folder the shortcut will not be able to find it anymore. Like computer, you change the location or rename the folder, the shortcut on your desktop will not be able to find it anymore and will not run.
  5. Jim Ver

Jim Ver New Member

Listen to him

Please Register or Log in to view images

6. Dust

Dust New Member

Device:
    2G iPod touch
    ooh i never thought about it like that. this makes sense
  7. Schtac

Schtac Member

Device:
    2G iPod touch
  8. sprint_user

sprint_user New Member

Device:
    iPad 2 (Black)
    I wouldn't touch those. Remember, pretty much everything is named for a reason, I wouldn't tamper with anything.
  9. zDSpider

zDSpider Member

Device:
    2G iPod touch
    I once renamed an .app folder. I think it was KanjiDo. The .app folder was named "iKanji.app" and renaming it to "KanjiDo.app" didn't rename it in the Springboard (tho the app still worked). To rename it I had to edit a string from a .plist file. But that's beside the point. This post is about those nasty XXXZ1234-FFFd234-YYYYY folders.

Why do you need this information anyway ?

In iFile you can make bookmarks for every folder you browse.

Just tap the middle icon (which looks like an open book), then tap "+", write the name (ie. "e-Books", "Comics", etc) and hit the blue Create button for the top right corner.

Hope this helps.

PS: To quickly browse through those nasty folders keep one finger on the back button and, while in landscape mode, tap the penultimate folder (last but one; the folder above the last). You'll quickly get the hang of it. Stop when you reach the app you're looking for or if you overshoot it, go back one or two folders.