Is it safe to delete my apps.

Discussion in 'iTunes' started by drslippyfist, Nov 9, 2009.

1. drslippyfist

drslippyfist Member

Device:
    3G iPod touch
    If I go into Itunes and hit the applications tab on the left a menu comes with all (912) of my applications badges. If I right click and press delete it gives me an option to delete the item from itunes but keep the files on my computer or I can delete the the application and files completely to my recycle bin. My question is if I choose to delete a application completely to my recycle bin I am aware that I will lose all of the data that I might have stored but if I ever wanted to download the application again will apple still keep on record that I have purchased the app in the past and not charge me a second time?
  2. €p1c

€p1c New Member

Device:
    iPhone 3GS (White)
    nope. apple will not keep a record of the applications you have downloaded. most likely you will get charged again
  3. murphmanny

murphmanny Banned

Are you kidding me?

That's completely wrong.

If you've downloaded something, assuming you paid for it, and you delete it, you can redownload it for FREE from the iTunes Store. You DON'T need to repay for it.

I've done it before.
  4. €p1c

€p1c New Member

Device:
    iPhone 3GS (White)
    Not necessarily.

While that is true in some cases, after restoring etc. that doesn't always happen. I had a bunch of apps and the Appstore didn't recognize that I had purchased them on the same account in the past. I honestly think it's luck. so no, I'm not completely wrong. past experiences allow me to draw that conclusion. If I were him, I wouldn't mess with deleting the apps.
  5. drslippyfist

drslippyfist Member

Device:
    3G iPod touch
    Thanks Murph and only Murph.
  6. €p1c

€p1c New Member

Device:
    iPhone 3GS (White)
    okay. well if you lose all your paid apps when your iPod freezes and needs to be restored and reset, then let's just say I told ya so.

It's happened to me before. Let's just say past knowledge.
  7. spoonforknife

spoonforknife Retired Moderator

Umm.. no. Then that's a bug that you should have reported to Apple. You are completely wrong. The standard behavior is the Apple does record which applications you purchase. They are in your purchase history in your iTunes account screen. You can browse through them, or even make a list, like I do. At any time, you can then re-download them free of charge.
  8. murphmanny

murphmanny Banned

Thank you.
  9. Tman47

Tman47 Active Member

Device:
    iPhone 4S (Black)
    Applications can always be redownloaded again for free from the App Store, in iTunes or on the mobile device. It will prompt you saying that the application had been previously purchased and can be downloaded again at no charge. However this is not the case for any other media.
  10. Flake

Flake New Member

no you won't be charged again....and restoring has nothing to do with it...