Is it really worth it?

Discussion in 'iPad' started by van2010rulz, Apr 12, 2010.

1. van2010rulz

van2010rulz New Member

Device:
    2G iPod touch
    Well it's been about a week since the ipad has come out and now i think i want one. I have a 8gb ipod touch 2g and well i like it it's just that after i get 3.1.3 i will never update the itouch again because i am not paying for new feature that i can only use half of. Right now i don't think i will be getting one. Maybe when Apple cuts the price by $100 and adds a camera to the front will i only then consider the ipad. But then i think that ok i have a ipod the will forever be running on 3.1.3 and maybe getting a new one for multitasking will be great. But then i go do i want to save my eyes and get a ipad which will have a bigger screen, pages, and will serve as my new ipod. It's a toss up for me, portability or a big screen that i can read books on?
  2. iMan

iMan New Member

Device:
    iPad
    I love my iPad and have not even touched my 2G touch since I got the new toy. The bigger screen is just what I wanted in the device.

I must say that I do not understand the reference you made to the 3.1.3 version and the 2G touch and half functionality. It maybe that I just don't know about it.
  3. van2010rulz

van2010rulz New Member

Device:
    2G iPod touch
    My mistake sorry i was thinking about the new 4.0 version! Sorry i hope i didn't confuse you.
  4. iMan

iMan New Member

Device:
    iPad
    Thanks, that makes sense to me now. I was thinking that I really missed something.
  5. Our_Mountain_of_Ideas

Our_Mountain_of_Ideas New Member

Device:
    iPad
    As far as I know, the only things that 2G Touches will miss out on is the background and multitasking. You'll still get the other ~100 new features of OS 4.0. Aside from that, the update will only be $10. You're looking at spending $500+ on an iPad, or $300+ on a second iPod Touch, so by comparison $10 is nothing.

As far as an iPad being worth it, I say yes. I bought a 32GB first thing on the 3rd, expecting it to be cool, but unnecessary. As a developer, I needed one to test with, as well as to use features that the SDK's simulator doesn't support.
    However, within minutes of opening it, I realized that it's truly a revolutionary device. The iPad is going to change the way we use computers. For me, it's replaced my MacBook for everything but development, photoshop, and iWeb. A lot of people said that it was just a big iPod Touch, etc. But it's not the case. It's an entirely new experience, but with an OS that's very familiar and easy to use. Even the touch screen keyboard is easy to get used to.

In my opinion, it's well worth it. I'd go for a 32GB or 64GB, depending on your media library. Unless your aim is to use it as an e-reader and streaming device, then the 16GB would be just fine.
  6. jimbeam

jimbeam Active Member

Device:
    iPhone 3G (Black)
    I don't agree. I played with one at best buy for about 20 minutes and it really is just a giant iPod touch. Sure the added new UI elements and a bigger screen, but there is nothing revolutionary or "Magical" about it. The iPhone was revolutionary, this, the iPad, is not. It's not revolutionary or evolutionary, It's just the same thing with a bigger screen.

It's a giant iPod touch in every way, literally. So, all you need to do when deciding on an ipod touch or iPad is to ask yourself one thing, do I want a big screen or do I want something I can fit in my pocket.
  7. iMan

iMan New Member

Device:
    iPad
    Yes the question is weather you want a big screen or not. For those of us who had a touch already, it was the next move to a much better experience.

As far as basing your experience off playing with it at best buy, that would not have been enough time for me. I didn't even see some of the cool features until a few days later after I had played with it and read more of what others had found out.

Big or Small is the question, and of course being able to type on the keyboard as if it was a laptop.

Unbeatable.
  8. jimbeam

jimbeam Active Member

Device:
    iPhone 3G (Black)
    Okay, so besides having a bigger screen, can someone give me an example of something the iPad can do that an iphone/ipod touch or macbook couldn't do or the iPad just does better? Nothing that has to do with a bigger screen (Larger keyboard or Better for movies for example) The bigger/smaller screen has it's advantages and disadvantages, we have that established already. I want to know what else this thing does thats so special.

Lets say you are a salesman and are trying to sell me an iPad. Keep in mind I already have a MacBook and an iPhone and I'm not really into games. Your daily commission depends on this last sale to me. How would you sell me on the iPad.
  9. GrooveMachine

GrooveMachine Active Member

Device:
    iPod touch
    Support for 10-finger multitouch, a rotation-lock, great speakers (for the size), a ridiculously fast processor, soon-to-be better software, keyboard and camera peripheral support, HD video support, 64GB memory capacity, the list goes on.
  10. iMan

iMan New Member

Device:
    iPad
    Oh, and your lap doesn't get hot like it does with the laptop and the battery lasts all day unlike the iPhone or touch.

It's a matter of personal preference and the things you mentioned about screen does matter as well as the keyboard. You can also read while laying down on your side with the screen lock. A serious advantage for us bed readers.

Selling you on it is for the ad people.