is it possible to share a network without knowin?

Discussion in 'iPod touch' started by iJuanjo, Jan 5, 2008.

1. iJuanjo

iJuanjo New Member

well ive been havin this thought stuck in my head for a while. im gettin wifi on my iPoT thru my network but i dont have a wireless card nor an adapter. so i dont kno whts up! do i really need a wireless card or adapter to get wifi on my touch? i have verizon as ISP and a modem router, it works as both.
  2. 1god1king

1god1king New Member

wireless router if your getting why get a wireless card

Please Register or Log in to view images

3. linds

linds New Member

a wireless card/adapter is needed to connect to a wireless access point (the router your ISP gave you)

Since the iPod has built in wifi, you don't need an extra adapter. The adapter would be needed if you want to connect another computer to your network
  4. iJuanjo

iJuanjo New Member

ooooohhhhhh!!!!! Well, thats what I thought on the first place. Bt my ISP told me that I needed an adapter n stuff. N I was like, "but its the new iPod Touch, you know, the cool one with WiFi?" And they were like, well it is still a wireless device so u need a card. I see that they're not that familiar with WiFi either, and they're an ISP! They really need to get their sht straight!... Now i'm not confused and thinking that I was probably on someone elses network without even knowin it. Thanks guys!
  5. johnnaryry

johnnaryry New Member

Device:
    iPad
    Are you quite sure that you're on your own network and not on a neighbor's? The Touch will happily join any open network, or rejoin a secure network you've logged into before, without any prompting. I have at least five neighbors who haven't bothered to set passwords on their networks, I sometimes use one of them if my ISP is down, but I'm always careful about sending passwords there.

--ryan
  6. Steaps

Steaps New Member

Device:
    iPod touch
    they just wanted your money.
  7. iJuanjo

iJuanjo New Member

Yeah, I'm 100% sure now. My network is secuered and I joined it with my password. Bt for some reason I still thought I was using someone elses because of wht my ISP told me about the wireless card/adapter. Bt now I'm completely sure.