Is it possible to lower the backlight brightness lower than the stock firmware allows

Discussion in 'iOS Jailbreak & Cydia' started by Jpoky, Jun 23, 2009.

1. Jpoky

Jpoky New Member

Device:
    2G iPod touch
    I always have mine on the darkest setting at night, but it's still too bright (after firmware 2.1 update, the lowest setting became brighter for my 2G iPT. It didn't happen to everyone)
    Does anyone know of a cydia app that can allow a dimmer backlight? Is such a thing possible?
    Thanks
  2. DarkWrath

DarkWrath Active Member

Device:
    4G iPod touch
    i don't think so. I think if you go any lower you won't be able to see what you're doing.

Anyway, the minimum is (i think) more than enough to not have glare kick you in the face and night.

Anyway, what are you using your ipod for at night...

Please Register or Log in to view images

3. robertomano24

robertomano24 Member

Device:
    4G iPod touch

lol
    i use mine for IMing and such
    but yeah. afdter your asleep for two hours then wake up at 5, its pretty bright
  4. Jpoky

Jpoky New Member

Device:
    2G iPod touch
    Thanks for replying. Doesn't seem like it's possible.

@dark_side: I read the Bible at night.Is that what you were implying?
  5. Axis

Axis Super Moderator Staff Member

Device:
    iPhone 4S (White)
    PERHAPS, you could hunt around for a plist that handles those settings, but it probably is a hardware limitation more than anything else.
  6. Jpoky

Jpoky New Member

Device:
    2G iPod touch
    I know for sure that before I upgraded to fw2.1, the lowest brightness setting was perfect for me. It was much lower than after the update. That's why I was hoping it was a bug, and maybe it'd be fixed in 3.0, but no such luck. I've spoken with others who had the same problem, but from what I gathered, it only effected a minority.
    Since I know it was darker before the fw update, I'm guessing it's not a hardware limitation. BTW, there's no way that this problem is just a misperception of my eyes, because before the update the brightness was never bothering me, but now it's so bright that I have to tilt the screen to the side so that it's not shining directly in my face.

I had an idea to ask the developer of the great JB flashlight app, because obviously he knows something about changing the backlight brightness. I looked him up and it ended up to be the bigboss. I just sent him an email.
  7. SolarFlare

SolarFlare New Member

Device:
    iPod touch
    Yes it is possible.
    It is really not that noticeable, but Supreme Preferences allows you to set it to -1.

Please Register or Log in to view images

8. Alpacaman

Alpacaman New Member

Device:
    2G iPod touch
    -1 brightness?

My brain hurts when trying to comprehend the physics of this