is it possible to get wireless access without wifi?

Discussion in 'iPod touch' started by cetera, Dec 17, 2007.

1. cetera

cetera New Member

the title of this thread is a little messed up so to clarify,
    is there any sort of attachment for the touch, like a wireless dongle, that could be attached to the ipod touch so it can receive wireless without having to search for connections - i'm thinking this could come in handy on trips or if you're somewhere outside a city where it's more difficult to find a free wifi connection. i would really like to get rid of my big clunky phone since my jailbroken touch does everything and more, but the only problem is wireless access isnt guaranteed everywhere! does anyone know if something like this exists?
  2. TheRapture

TheRapture New Member

So you want the ipod touch to be able to create a wireless access point?
  3. cetera

cetera New Member

i suppose so? i'm not exactly sure what that means, what i had in mind was something like the wifi cards you can put into your lap top to get access anywhere.
  4. cetera

cetera New Member

ok actually, after looking that up, i'm not sure if a WAP is exactly what i'm looking for - that looks essentially like it only works in range of an established wireless network, what i'm thinking is something self-contained that would work when you're away from home.
  5. jeremybrs

jeremybrs New Member

get an iphone if u really need it

no...u cant, i would be handy tho...
    the iphone has it though if u pay for EDGE u can go online anywhere! but no touch wifi anywhere
  6. cetera

cetera New Member

oh well, unfortunately i have the touch not the phone. hopefully someone makes this soon!
  7. DerekVOF

DerekVOF Active Member

Device:
    iPod touch
    Trade up to an iPhone - that's the only way you're going to get wireless everywhere...