Is it possible to get wifi "anywhere"?

Discussion in 'iPod touch 1.1.x Jailbreak' started by DeLuca54, Oct 31, 2007.

1. DeLuca54

DeLuca54 New Member

I understand it is a dumb question, please by all means yell and scream at me. I just got my Touch in hopes (like the iPhone) it can go on the internet anywhere. I don't like cingular (I know you can get it unlocked), and i just plain don't like the phone feature, i don't know why...

If I jailbreak my iPod, can I get a connection basically anywhere (Like the iPhone). I have been searching through threads like crazy, and sorry I can't seem to find anything.

Also, if it's possible (with a jailbroken Touch) to bypass passwords and connect to any emitting wifi (Like a schools wifi for ex.

Please Register or Log in to view images

)

Any help would be MUCH appreciated.
  2. Blake

Blake Super Moderator Emeritus

Device:
    iPhone 4S (White)
    No, The touch dont have edge.
    The wireless data network.
  3. AutoItKing

AutoItKing New Member

You are wrong. WiFi noramlly only has a range of about a hundred to two hundred feet from the router. If you want a connection anywhere you'll have to get an iPhone. I suggest you study WiFi a little.
  4. jord

jord New Member

I think you have a great misunderstanding of how wifi works

the iphone has wifi and edge capabilities...
    the ipod touch only has wifi

Wifi is not everywhere, so no you will not be able to access the internet everywhere... (thats where edge kicks in for the iphone)

EDGE is connecting through your cell connection... and AT&T will bill ya for it

Also.. the wifi being broadcast needs to either be open (no WEP, WAP etc)
    or you must have the WEP key to access it.... just like a laptop does not get internet everywhere.. neither does your ipod
  5. DeLuca54

DeLuca54 New Member

Ok I understand, thanks, but how about bypassing passwords, or is that just not possible...
  6. jord

jord New Member

you can crack WEP passwords relatively quickly with use of a laptop... but it takes to much CPU power for the touch to ever be able to do it on its own..

However from your first question I'm going to be blunt and say WEP cracking is gonna be over your head....

just as it is for most of the community here, and most of us (if not all) rely on open wifi connections
  7. DeLuca54

DeLuca54 New Member

ahhh ok. I trust your judgement...most likely will be over my head.
    Well, thanks guys, if a mod wants to close this feel free.

I'll be looking around for programs.
  8. Hedphuq

Hedphuq New Member

Device:
    iPod touch
    you can use stumbler (install by using installer.app) to scan for unprotected (open) wireless networks. i use it all the time. you'll be suprised how much open networks you can find.
  9. hydrotherion

hydrotherion New Member

Device:
    iPod touch
    @Hedphuq

Thx for the stumbler tip. Did not know about and it's great to view the wifi when in a big city.

Please Register or Log in to view images

10. edisonho1990

edisonho1990 New Member

i have a locked wi-fi acces i was just wondering is the password the same password you set for your own interenet access for your pc?