Is it bad to get "Best-Of" and "Compilation" albums?

Discussion in 'Music, Movies, TV, and Videos' started by NinjaBurrito, Jun 13, 2010.

1. NinjaBurrito

NinjaBurrito New Member

I was on Head Fi the other day, browsing the music forum, and a huge debate on "Best-Of" and "Compilation" albums was brewing. Supposivly, it's bad to get these, because you don't truly love the artist.

I totally disagree. In the case of house/trance producers, the only way to hear their songs is through these types of albums.

Discussions?
  2. The Lurker

The Lurker New Member

Device:
    iPhone 3GS (Black)
    music is music.
  3. taptaptouch

taptaptouch Active Member

Device:
    iPhone 3G (Black)
    You dont have to like every song an artist has to like them, it would be sorta stupid if idk lady gaga made a barney song and people said someone wasnt a fan because they didnt like it, no sh*t, no one likes it
  4. Fenderboy

Fenderboy New Member

Device:
    2G iPod touch
    I have a few best of-compilation albums. It's good if you don't want to spend money on albums with songs you're not gonna listen to, and get all/most of the songs you like legally.
  5. KCooper

KCooper Active Member

Device:
    iPhone 5S
    I think they're okay. For instance, Aerosmith's 1977 album, Draw the Line, only has one really good song on it (the song the album was named after). I wouldn't want to buy that album for that one song, so I might buy a compilation with a lot of their other hits.

The only problem I see with compilations is that the songs are usually the ones every one already knows. By buying an album with one song on it you know, you may get turned on to some of that bands other songs that may be good to you, but not as popular.

This are the rules I go by when buying old vinyl. If the album has a couple of songs I know on it, I want stray from it because of the lack of popular songs. I'm always eager to hear what else the band had to offer.

Whew, now I'm done with my little rant. Comments?

Please Register or Log in to view images

6. NinjaBurrito

NinjaBurrito New Member

With the bands I listen to, (At least comparing it to the people in my school), no one has ever heard of them, so it's ok to get the comp. albums. Seriously, no-one in my school has heard of the Toasters, Pendulum, Reel Big Fish, etc...
  7. _JKK_

_JKK_ Super Moderator Staff Member

Device:
    iPhone 5S
    It's music. Who gives a damn what someone else thinks?
  8. Calhoun

Calhoun New Member

Device:
    3G iPod touch
    well personally i'm generally against best-of albums because most of the time they're put out by the label with minimal input from the artist, who may be completely against the idea of or the songs on the album (this usually only happens with mainstream money-oriented labels, like warner. die die die)

but compilations i think are a great way to sample a label, for example the way i got into dependent was through their septic compilations. on this particular series there are a lot of remixes/alternatve versions not released anywhere else, which is always nice

compilations are also a very nice way to sample a genre you're just getting in to
  9. SkylarEC

SkylarEC Super Moderator Emeritus Staff Member

Personally, if there's an artist who only has a couple of songs I know or like, then I'll get the greatest hits album. Why buy three separate albums to get those three songs when you can get them on one cd. That being said, if it turns out that I like the greatest hits cd more than I planned, then I will go out and buy those three cd's, as well as look into the rest of the artist's music.

That's the whole point of greatest hits albums. They allow a way for fans who may only be familiar with a couple of songs to become familiar with the artist and their music.

KCooper, off the top of my head, I can think of three good songs on that album. "Draw The Line," "Kings And Queens," and "Milk Cow Blues." THe list would probably be longer, but I don't remember which songs are on which album. I haven't pulled out an Aerosmith cd since long ago when I imported them onto my computer. That said, their Rock In A Hard Place album is terrible.
  10. Ryuzaki

Ryuzaki Active Member

Device:
    iPhone 5 (Black)
    It's actually how I started enjoying alot of my artists. I get the Greatest hits first. And if I like their music I'll get all the CD's.

Like the Foo Fighters. :]