is it a resistor or capacitor? FRIED Touch

Discussion in 'iPod touch' started by whuthefxk, Jul 28, 2010.

1. whuthefxk

whuthefxk New Member

So my wall charger failed on me today and am kinda pissed. i opened up my 1g touch to see that some smd chips are burnt. i need to know if if they are caps or resistors and the values i need to get replacements.what are the values of the ones highlighted in red? in green? (if they are capacitors, what is the polarity? if it has one) and the thing highlighted in blue fell off ( i found it), is it salvageable? Thanks! you will make my day!

Please Register or Log in to view images

2. ZhiZhi778

ZhiZhi778 Member

Device:
    iPhone 3G (Black)
    err was this an apple wall charger? they had problems and apple offered replacements...so I guess apple would be the best way to go at least better than a do-it-yourself fix..
  3. RandomEskimo

RandomEskimo Active Member

Device:
    iPad 2 (Black)
    Those surface contact components can usually be either. I would suggest getting apple to do a repair. Or at the very least take it to an electronics store and ask them what they are. But you have probably fried the chips as well so I think it would be time for a new device.
  4. ZhiZhi778

ZhiZhi778 Member

Device:
    iPhone 3G (Black)
  5. t.ara

t.ara Member

Device:
    iPhone 4S (White)
    A Charger like that blew up on me as-well.
    It was from apple, But I thought it was just my fault.
    Out of no where it just blew up and the charger was burnt.
  6. whuthefxk

whuthefxk New Member

can apple still do repairs if its this old? remember it is the 1st gen touch. and it is NOT burnt on the other side. JUST this side.

well technically i did open it up for the pictures so warranty is out of the picture. but if i wanted to repair it, do i take it to the apple store or what? never had to deal with this before.
  7. RandomEskimo

RandomEskimo Active Member

Device:
    iPad 2 (Black)
    Contact apple and ask or look for an apple certified repair center in your area.
  8. whuthefxk

whuthefxk New Member

how much u think it may cost? and if i put it back together nicely u thinkthey culd tell? the original casing itself was well used. it was hard to take off, so i would need to really think about it before trying to put it back on lol. (i do know how to solder smds. so i have no worries about doing it myself. i just need to know the parts)

thnx
  9. ZhiZhi778

ZhiZhi778 Member

Device:
    iPhone 3G (Black)
    you've removed the warranty "DO NOT REMOVE" stickers

so no way if you send it in for repair and hope that they possibly won't see that warranty has been voided before...

and btw. it is a pain to solder these parts back on - since you do not even know whether the chips are still working or not
  10. whuthefxk

whuthefxk New Member

i honestly done recall seeing a "do not remove sticker". and i know what you are talking abouat as i have taken apart iphones and such. i have also had this ipod since january of 08. where would this sticker usually be?