Is FF7 Really THAT Great?

Discussion in 'Console & PC Gaming' started by BadKarma, Nov 23, 2009.

1. BadKarma

BadKarma Banned

Device:
    iPod touch
    Seeing that I've never been into the Final fantasy series since the NES versions, I was wondering about all the acclaim and praise for FF7....those who've actually played it- does it deserve the hype it's receiving?
  2. InaudibleWhisper

InaudibleWhisper Member

Device:
    iPod touch
    Like a lot of games from that generation, it hasn't aged gracefully. I don't think you could play the game for the first time now and get anything out of it close to what you would have had you played it on release. A lot of it is nostalgia and at the time for a game of that scale it was pretty ground breaking graphically and through the graphics the story could be told with fidelity never seen before. The soundtrack was great too. Time has not been kind to early 3D models and low-resolution pre-rendered backgrounds though.
  3. ChrisL

ChrisL Well-Known Member

I guess if you are into turn based RPGs, you may enjoy it, but like InaudibleWhisper said, the graphics can't be compared to the graphics of today's games. I personally don't enjoy turn based RPGs, that's why the first and, so far, only Final Fantasy that I enjoyed was Final Fantasy: Crisis Core on the PSP.
  4. BadKarma

BadKarma Banned

Device:
    iPod touch
    @inaudibleW - I wholeheartedly see what you mean, it's the same case as today. But it's the raw story I'm concerned about.

I don't really care about the graphics, I still play Fallout 1 and Baldur's gate occasionally. I just need to know if it was worth 700+ MB to download.
  5. apopagasm

apopagasm Banned

Device:
    3G iPod touch
    i've tried playing it 3 or 4 times and i always give up when i see how the main dude's arms look

awful game imo

but ff8 is my favorite game ever, so i'm extremely biased
  6. BadKarma

BadKarma Banned

Device:
    iPod touch
    But you are obviously looking at it from a graphical perspective.

I need to choose between this and MGS1
  7. InaudibleWhisper

InaudibleWhisper Member

Device:
    iPod touch
    MGS1 is a 3-6 hour long game. Final Fantasy VII is a 40 hour+ game. They're both graphically poor, so just choose based on what genre you want to play. I can't say how well the story stands up today in FFVII as I haven't played it in years but I loved it back in the day. In my mind it is one of my favourite games of all time, but I won't go back to it in case my memories are destroyed

Please Register or Log in to view images

8. BadKarma

BadKarma Banned

Device:
    iPod touch
    They both will look great on the PSP thanks to Sony's excellent PSX emulator they implemented with in the PSP firmware BTW. I already tried one game, and it looked even better than I remember thanks to the gorgeous widescreen.

The thing is, if I played it some time around its debut, back when PS1 was popular, I probably would appreciate it now more. Yesterday I downloaded Spyro 3, which was the only PS1 game that I owned, and I felt a blast of nostalgia; it was incredible back in the day. But anyways I will probably download FFVII considering the amount of content I will be getting. Maybe for Christmas I'll pick up MGS1.
  9. Meikura

Meikura Super Moderator Staff Member

Device:
    iPhone 4 (Black)
    I'd highly recommend MGS1, I could still play that today and I'd enjoy it. The storyline is truly fantastic, and as long as you're not too bothered about graphics then you'll enjoy it. It's not that bad though, just a bit blocky.
  10. hooger

hooger Banned

You will love it then. The storyline is top of the line, and is one of the best i have ever played of any video game. The soundtrack is pretty good as well. Me personally I have never really cared for graphics. You can have the top graphics, but if gameplay and story are bad, then the game is bad.

To me the storyline is more than enough to cover the graphics. Coming to the graphics, I love them. I know they are not 1080p graphics of today, but what do you expect? It was a trailblazer during its time. I love the graphics because it reminds me of what videogames were and what they have become.

TL;DR: Don't judge a book by its cover.

PS. It'll probably take you a couple runs at it before you 100% understand the story.