Is Cydia useless now (not counting the BSD replacement)

Discussion in 'iOS Jailbreak & Cydia' started by P0150N0U5 F15)-(, May 8, 2008.

1. P0150N0U5 F15)-(

P0150N0U5 F15)-( Banned

Is Cydia as an app now useless with the new functions added to installer? I mean its main points were:

It refreshes its sources faster
    It has the letter slider like in portrait ipod
    Source code released

Installer is now just as fast at refreshing
    Installer has a search function = faster than letter slider
    Source code may be released soon
    All sources work with it, + you can add them

What are your views? Note: Not about the BSD replacement!!!
  2. Aristarchos

Aristarchos Banned

probably...I mean it all depends on preference
    but I would have to say that the people behind installer really stepped up to the plate with their new update and have made installer worthy again ... so maybe this is a call out to cydia to do better...who knows, but i think that we will be seeing some impressive stuff soon
  3. P0150N0U5 F15)-(

P0150N0U5 F15)-( Banned

I suppose, but the preference isn't really there at present. Without sources addition, Cydia is difficult to use for the mainstream users. Its not like Installer or Cydia can do much more now though is it? I would like to know what Nullriver has planned for installers future...
  4. jamil_d

jamil_d Active Member

Device:
    iPhone 3GS (Black)
    2.0 Support! Hope it comes soon...
  5. gunzmaiet

gunzmaiet New Member

Cydia could do more stuff so cydia FTW
  6. chrism238

chrism238 New Member

But the Installer folks took over 6 months to make these necessary improvements, and it's only been the "pressure" from a better Cydia tool that forced their hand.
  7. interestingkid

interestingkid Member

Device:
    iPhone 4 (Black)
    i have been using Cydia and Installer for couple of weeks now and i have to say, Cydia is better. Refreshing in Cydia needs no user interaction AND doesn't lock you up on that stupid Installer 'Refreshing sources' screen (you can go and search while it's refreshing in the background). Through out the weeks, it has updated several times and every update kept making Cydia better and better (more sources, updated package management system, etc). Even though there aren't a lot of sources for it, it is very worth it. I install as many apps through Cydia and only install from Installer when the download is not in Cydia. It's much more responsive and lightweight and if the sources come to Cydia, Installer would go down (no offense Installer)
  8. P0150N0U5 F15)-(

P0150N0U5 F15)-( Banned

I suppose a combination of the 2 is better, but as I was saying earlier, i think both are leveling. Cydia has no add source, and Installer has new features. Also it is made by a group of people, rather than just one person...