Is converting Tv shows from a DVD to Ipod format legal?

Discussion in 'iPod touch' started by van2010rulz, Apr 14, 2010.

1. van2010rulz

van2010rulz New Member

Device:
    2G iPod touch
    I'm NOT trying to break any rules of the forum just to let everybody know. I haven't tried this yet i just want to know because a want to buy a season of my favorite show but i don't want to use itunes because i can't watch it on my TV because i don't want to connect it. I also don't want to buy the ipod TV connector. Yes i have a HDMI cable but i don't want to go through the hassle. So is it legal to convert DVDs that i own to Ipod format. Please don't ban me if i am talking about something illegal! i really don't know!
  2. Nburnes

Nburnes Well-Known Member

Device:
    OnePlus One
    It is perfectly fine?
  3. tinyman392

tinyman392 Super Moderator Staff Member

Device:
    iPhone 6
    I don't know about changing format, it should be legal. There are lots of software for that, and as long as it's for personal use, it should be good and legal. However, the rules do get shady. Even if you own a legal copy of a DVD, it is ILLEGAL to DOWNLOAD it. So just no *******s, you should be good to go.

Another shady spot I see, at the beginning of the DVD, there is a disclaimer stating that is is unlawful to copy the DVD. Depending on how you see this statement (copy to another DVD CAN be different than changing format, but not necessarily).

Finally, this pertains to SOFTWARE, but may also be a reason why it's legal. Apparently some guy was arrested for pirating over 100 copies of Photoshop (this was a LONG TIME AGO) and giving them away. He was sentenced to... NOTHING, they couldn't prove he had motive to profit. So as long as you don't profit, it's legal apparently (This law might have been updated, got this story in a research paper for school from a government site).

It all depends on interpretations of the law. It's written, then there could be various interpretations in the later years. This is why laws should be updated regularly.
  4. iPwn

iPwn Community Development Staff Member

Device:
    Nexus 4
    I think that law is just horrible. If you already own something, there's nothing wrong (ethically) about getting the same exact thing in a different format for free. At least there shouldn't be.
  5. Nburnes

Nburnes Well-Known Member

Device:
    OnePlus One
    I'm sure the OP means just ripping the DVD to his HDD and then proceeding to use something like handbrake to format it.
  6. iPwn

iPwn Community Development Staff Member

Device:
    Nexus 4
    ik, but the law u mentioned is bad
  7. tinyman392

Device:
    iPhone 6
    Depending on how to interpret "copying a DVD" (physical copying >> DVD to DVD or copying data >> DVD -> some other format) then it may or may not be legal. It's really up to the OP what he thinks. If he sees it as illegal, I'd suggest not doing it because he will have to live with it.

Personal opinion on the subject, I think it is perfectly fine to do. Just keep it for yourself and don't distribute. Actually, I used to do this

Please Register or Log in to view images

8. van2010rulz

van2010rulz New Member

Device:
    2G iPod touch
    So that means don't lend the copy out (keep it for personal use) And don't sell it. I can do that. Now not to be going off topic too much, can anybody recommend a converter. Free if possible but i will have to check some of my software.
  9. tinyman392

Device:
    iPhone 6
    Google's your best friend for this one... Can't help you much with this (forgot what I used, and it's most likely out dated by a good 5 years

Please Register or Log in to view images

).
  10. van2010rulz

van2010rulz New Member

Device:
    2G iPod touch
    Thanks, your right Google is my best friend here. Thanks to everybody who helped.