Is Categories worth it?

Discussion in 'iOS Jailbreak & Cydia' started by Tombstoner, Jun 8, 2009.

1. Tombstoner

Tombstoner New Member

Categories at first seemed to be a very useful app, but it might actually be slowing me down with the long wait at opening a folder. I set both of my categories to always on in Backgrounder and I still get the long wait. Should I put all my apps back on the home screen?
  2. nitsua93

nitsua93 Well-Known Member

Device:
    iPhone 5 (Black)
    Categories is amazing, but it does go slow if you have a ton apps in one folder. I have 71 in my games folder and it takes 3-5 seconds to load (which isn't to bad). If you just make different folders and categories it should be fine.
  3. curtlow

curtlow Banned

Device:
    iPod touch
    It is worth it if you want to add more apps then the ipod allows.
  4. Tombstoner

Tombstoner New Member

I have 40 in my games folder and 30 in my Misc folder. I don't think 70 is more than it allows, and I don't really want to make seperate folders because it wouldn't be as organized. I guess I should still use it though, right? I'm just thinking it might be quicker to swipe to a section rather than wait 3 or 4 seconds.
  5. DaveiPhone

DaveiPhone New Member

Device:
    iPhone 3GS (Black)
    For me, it's no contest, Categories is the only way to go if you have a lot of apps installed (I have about 150). I've found that once you have more than 4 pages or so on the SpringBoard, the phone starts running poorly. Categories allows you to have nearly an unlimited number of apps installed without dramatically slowing down the phone. It does take a little longer to launch an app inside a folder, but since I can FIND the app much faster, and my phone runs much better, this is a very reasonable tradeoff to me.

However, there are some important things to understand about Categories to use it effectively. #1 is to limit the number of apps in any particular folder. 16 seems to be the number that works well for me. Since I have lots of games installed, I've broken those down by type: Sports, Board, Driving, Action, etc.

The second thing about Categories is that it's not the most stable thing, as it doesn't manage memory very well. So, don't try to do too much in a single session. Pay attention to the free memory in the status bar, and when you get down below 15MB, respring before trying to do any more.

On a final note, if you hide things like Settings, Cydia, or Categories itself inside a Category, be sure to unhide them before updating your phone's firmware or removing Categories from the phone. If you don't, you'll discover they are hidden from view after the update.

That isn't the end of the world, but a bit of a pain. If you find yourself in that predicament, and can still get to Settings, you can toggle Restrictions on and off to reveal all the hidden apps.
  6. Tombstoner

Tombstoner New Member

So I should just split them up? OK then, thanks! DaveiPhone you were very helpful!
  7. deathspy

deathspy New Member

Device:
    2G iPod touch
    Categories is great, I would reccomend not putting apps that you use on a daily basis into folders. That way you're not staring at that load screen constantly. It's saved me a crapload of space with games I hardly play, but like having. It's just a matter of using it with the right apps.