Is AptBackup a sick joke?

Discussion in 'iPod touch Firmware 2.X' started by djgamble, Nov 22, 2008.

1. djgamble

djgamble New Member

My call is that AptBackup doesn't work!
    I did a full backup before my restore, which took about 3 hours because I had some corruption issues, but it worked! Everything was backed up...

I then hit "backup" within apt backup, and used iTunes to backup things AGAIN just to make sure it worked!!

Restore... open apt backup...

"Sorrry this tool needs to be used after a backup"...

Its done this EVERY time and is very frustrating! Their documentation is nil, and it never works... the worst part is it lets you down after you've gone past the point of no return and can't do $hit!!

Avoid AptBackup like the plague!!! It's a sick joke!!!
  2. Daedalus

Daedalus New Member

Device:
    iPhone 3GS (Black)
    Did you remember to restore from backup when setting up your iPod after the restore?

I just backed up my ipod, restored to 2.2, QuickPwned, installed AptBackup from Cydia, then restore the backup from iTunes, and then ran the restore utility in AptBackup and everything is working as it was before.
  3. nbvikingsidiot001

nbvikingsidiot001 Member

Device:
    iPhone 4 (Black)
    plug your ipod into itunes right click on your ipod in the device tree and click restore

choose the backup that has the aptbackup information in it then using aptbackup restore and let it run no matter how long mine took 30 minutes
  4. djgamble

djgamble New Member

That's EXACTLY what I did, it took ages, and didn't work.

For me it restored all the icon positions + screwed up Cydia as it THINKS everything's still installed (they're like ghosts)... so the backup WORKED! But AptBackup fails to believe me that I did one. It's so insulting after I took those careful steps + waited so long!!!!! F*ck you AptBackup!
  5. murphmanny

murphmanny Banned

maybe so
    i'm not gonna use it
  6. Jarlath

Jarlath Retired Moderator

It sounds more like the OP didn't have a clue what they were doing, which is why it failed. Be warned: APTBackup will ONLY install packages that it can get from the main Cydia repos, which include other repos available in the main repo lists that it can download via Cydia itself - so pirated software sites will NOT be found in those repo lists and that software will not install. Also, if you've messed around with the MobileInstallation file, this may not work either - but that's the risk you take being a dirty pirate.

This series of steps will ensure that it works.

1) Open Cydia, install APTBackup.

2) Open APTBackup, select "Backup"

3) Sync the iPod with iTunes, make sure to backup the iPod while doing so.

4) Do an upgrade, factory restore, or restore and upgrade in iTunes. Jailbreak as needed.

5) Open Cydia again, wait for the folders to be organized if this is a fresh jailbreak, and reinstall APTBackup.

6) Open APTBackup. Select "Restore" - this part may take a while as it has to download each and every APT package you previously had in Cydia and then reinstall each program.

7) The iPod will reboot. Afterwards, everything should be installed. This is best done as the first step after a restore or upgrade; if you've installed other programs via Cydia prior to the restore, there may be issues... especially if those packages you installed were the same as the ones in the backup.
  7. jfb392

jfb392 New Member

Device:
    iPod touch
    AptBackup also copies your sources, so it will install everything again, no matter what sources the packages come from.

Also, I've had numerous problems with the GUI, it seems to act funny.
    Run the restore script that the application uses directly; you'll be able to see the results.
    To do so, change to the application's directory over SSH and simply type "./restore".
    After it has completed, simply reboot.
    Also, the MobileInstallation cache may or may not be deleted by the script, I don't remember.
    If you're unsure, you can always check if the file exists before rebooting over SCP (it's /var/mobile/Library/Caches/com.apple.mobile.installation.plist).
  8. Anonymouslyanonymous

Anonymouslyanonymous Member

Device:
    iPod touch
    Yea it should work if you did everything properly.
  9. shahir29

shahir29 New Member

Device:
    iPhone
    Ok i have done everything properly but when i try to back up my iphone it says, backup can nott be completed because iphone is disconnected or something like that, its been saying that ever since i went on 2.1? Can some one shed some light?
  10. Jarlath

Jarlath Retired Moderator

That doesn't sound like APTBackup - are you sure you're running the correct application? All it does is copy the list of sources you have and the packages installed from each source.
    ------------------double post merged------------------
    From what I recall, APTBackup just copies the list of installed packages - which usually includes sources, since most people install their sources from the main Cydia repo (saurik's), and it just basically copies the list of selected packages to reinstall them.