Is apple care worth it on a retina macbook pro?

Discussion in 'Mac & OS X' started by makai4325, Jul 25, 2013.

1. makai4325

makai4325 Member

Device:
    iPhone 5 (White)
    I bought a 13inch retina mac book pro a few months ago. I have till next may to add it to and I want to know if you think that it would be worth it to add to one. I had it on my other mac and it defiantly paid for itself but the only problems that I had with it were the HD went out and the opticaldrive went out. My retina has a SSD and I haven't heard people say the go out and I don't have an optical drive. What do you think? Is it worth it to have?
  2. Zyiros

Zyiros Well-Known Member

Device:
    Nexus 4
    I don't think it is worth it these days. The reliability of hardware these days is top notch.
  3. Joe Rossignol

Joe Rossignol Community Manager Staff Member

Device:
    iPhone 5 (Black)
    The technologies in the Retina MacBook Pro are advanced. You have no spinning parts whatsoever. I don't have AppleCare for my Retina MacBook Pro and I've owned it for over a year now without any problems. I personally wouldn't recommend it.
  4. Badd_Blood

Badd_Blood Well-Known Member

Apple should give 3 years warranty for free if you ask me. Why should anything break if they use such top quality parts? Just don't break the screen or else you are out of a grand.
    laze and Zyiros like this.
  5. Zyiros

Zyiros Well-Known Member

Device:
    Nexus 4
    They seem to have gotten more profit-focused after Tim Cook took charge... :(
  6. Xerox

Xerox Well-Known Member

Device:
    Samsung Galaxy Nexus
    Yessssss.

Depending on the cost if its over $150.

Noooo.

Sent from my iPod touch using Tapatalk 2
  7. DrZGnKsTaPa

DrZGnKsTaPa Member

Device:
    iPhone 4 (Black)
    YES! I absolutely recommend it! My friend has a 15' MacBook Pro Retina and he recently went in for a repair. I don't remember what exactly was the problem or what they fixed but he showed me what his "would be" bill and all he said was THANK GOD I HAD APPLECARE! His bill for the repair came out to $839 but was fully covered by applecare so he didn't pay a dime!

When he was purchasing his MacBook, one of the geniuses recommended it to him due to the fairly new technology being used on it makes the prices of the parts rather expensive. He said and I quote " When you buy a luxury car or a top model car you expect to have the best parts in the world and for it never to go wrong for you, but just like any car, anything can go wrong. The main difference is that your not paying for a part for a regular car, your paying for something that is specifically made for your top of the line car which means is higher in price!" Which does make a lot of sense since we know that Apple is putting the latest technology in these bad boys.

Even if I never get to use it on my MacBook, I know that if something was to ever go wrong, I am fully covered.
  8. Half-Life

Half-Life Well-Known Member

Device:
    iPhone 5S
    If hardware fails it will usually fail while it is sill under your purchase warranty.
  9. Shedoara

Shedoara Well-Known Member

Device:
    iPad
    I personally would get it. Used it once on a 2008 MBP and twice on a 2009 iMac. If it weren't for that, would have spent over $800+ VS (2 Apple Care) $300 or so. And the problems I had wouldn't be any different in the MBP Retina. My family hasn't had any problems with the 2011 MBA though.
  10. 4NewHop3

4NewHop3 Well-Known Member

Device:
    5G iPod touch
    I would say that you should get it. You never know if your machine dies out of no where. About two years ago, my Late 2009 iMac died one day even though it was working like new the day before. Haven't had a problem like that with the replacement Mac that I got, but it's always nice to have something just in case.