Irig, guitar+iphone

Discussion in 'Accessories' started by Kasperr, Jun 20, 2010.

1. Kasperr

Kasperr Member

Device:
    iPhone 3GS (Black)
    Hi guys, i stumbled upon the new Amplitude app for iphone, which is basicly amps for your guitar.

They're offering a connecter (guitar to iphone)for 55 dollars (45 euro for me).

Any thoughts on this? Is there a cheaper quality alternative?

Thanks in advance

Please Register or Log in to view images

2. jakey103

jakey103 New Member

Device:
    4G iPod touch
    You mean cheaper connector, or app?
  3. Hidden Driveways

Hidden Driveways New Member

As far as I know, the iRig adapter is the first of its kind. There isn't a cheaper one, however, at $39 USD it isn't too expensive. I had the opportunity to test one out last week with the Amplitube software and I was really impressed.

Here's a link to my review:
    http://pro-audio.bhinsights.com/content/iwanna-rock-hands-review-irig.html

It's a product that makes total sense to me, and a handy little accessory to have for my beloved iPhone 3GS. I'm kind of afraid of the iPhone 4 because my 3GS is so good.
  4. I3enjam1n

I3enjam1n New Member

Device:
    3G iPod touch
    I'm wondering if there is some resistors or capasitors to make the guitar impedance etc. good/safe to itouch mic input? If there isn't anything it will work with cable like this: http://www.hosatech.com/product/339...RRS_to_Composite_Video_and_Stereo_Audio,_3_ft and somekind of rca to guitar plug or resolder plug to rca cable. Just plug your guitar to "video" and headphones/mixer to L- and R-outs and you're ready to rock.
  5. flyingguitar

flyingguitar Active Member

Device:
    iPhone 6
    it looks like a standard 1/4 inch to 1/8 inch adapter, you can get them at radioshack pretty cheap
  6. ./^\.ACE./^\.

./^\.ACE./^\. Member

Device:
    4G iPod touch
    I found online DIY iRig setups that are cheap to make and work fine.

Here is one:
    http://beaugatlin.blogspot.com/2010/09/make-your-own-irig-audio-interface-for.html

And here is one I made and you can to (if you can solder):

1x 1/8 inch male to 3 RCA male AV video cable.

1x 1/4 inch female mono Jack

1x 1/8 inch female stereo headphone jack

2x 1/4 foot length of small shealed speaker wire

Some small heatshrink tubing

Building:

1. Cut off the RCA end of the AV cable but leave enough room for ataching the Jacks to it.

2. Strip the 3 RCA wires and do a test to find out witch wire is attached to witch point on the 1/8 inch plug. It should be, Left(tip), Right(first ring), Ground(second ring), Mic(sleave). if the ground and mic line are switched thats ok it will just mean you need to keep that in mind.

3. Strip both ends of both the 1/4 foot length of small shealed speaker wire, the wires should be, Red, White, and a silver brade.

4. Twist the brade so that it makes a neat wire that you can solder.

5. take the 1/4 inch female mono Jack and 1 of the 1/4 foot length of small shealed speaker wire and solder the brade to the Ground and solder both the White and the Red wires together to the other conection. **(Note if you have a Mono Jack with 3 leads then the 2 of then should still only touch the tip of the Guitar plug but if you could only get a Stario Jack then you need to find out witch lead is the tip.)**

6. Now take the 1/8 inch female stereo headphone jack and the other 1/4 foot length of small shealed speaker wire, conect the brade to ground, the Red wire to the Tip and the White wire the the other lead.

7. Now conect the wires together, Take the other end of the Guitar cable and solder both the Red and White wires to the Mic wire, Take the other end of the headphone cable and conect the Red with the Left(Tip) and the White with Right(First ring), now connect the 3 ground wires together. **(Note don't for get to use heatshrink tubing to insulate the wires.)**

Now you have a working DIY iRig, I already made one and it works great and it cost under $15CAN.
  7. Brian at IK Multimedia

Brian at IK Multimedia New Member

AmpliTube 2.1 and AmpliTube Fender 1.0.1 updates are available through the iTunes App Store now!

Check your App updates, guys!

Changes:
    - Fixed possible crash on iOS 3
    - Improved performance on iPod touch 2G and iPhone 3G devices
    - General reliability improvements

Please Register or Log in to view images

8. Brian at IK Multimedia

Following on the heels of yesterday's AmpliTube 2.1 and AmpliTube Fender 1.0.1 updates, VocaLive has now been posted to iTunes. The iRig Mic, cousin of the iRig, will be available later this month.
  9. Brian at IK Multimedia

iRig and iRig Mic have been tested in GarageBand for iPad, and both passed with flying colors.