IPTF RSS Feed Extended

Discussion in 'iPod touch' started by gleesonger, Aug 10, 2009.

1. gleesonger

gleesonger New Member

Device:
    2G iPod touch
    I've written an app which resides on my college server, among other feeds it scrapes the IPTF Rss feed and for each entry, it retrieves the entries webpage and determines what the main article is then rehosts the rss feed.Bascialy it expands the content of the rss feed to include the whole article and not just the description.The reason I have done this is so that I may read the entire content of a feed offline and not just the description.

I have the feed at this link

I have only just added IPTF to the list of feeds but it appers to work fine.
    I give no commitment to continue this, though I see no reason to remove it at this time, unless the admins have a problem with the feed being rehosted.

Ger.
  2. bgizzle

bgizzle Administrator Staff Member

Device:
    iPhone 6
    We don't want to serve the iPod touch Fans feed in its full format for a reason. This puts an undue load on our servers, so I would prefer if you stopped offering this, as it actually puts significantly more load then simply having the feed served in full format. If there is significant demand for the site RSS feed in full, I'm sure we can work out something less intrusive.
  3. gleesonger

gleesonger New Member

Device:
    2G iPod touch
    It refreshes the rss feed every 15mins and only takes a webpage if it is new, so it is no different than a normal feed aggrigator so if only 2 people use this feed it would infact reduce the load on your servers but at the same time retain the interest in the site.

I also think that the demand may exist as a higher precentage of people looking at this site have touches and so offline rss feeds are very handy.

Do you still want this feed removed?

PS. I rarely if every check my private messages, so either a post to this topic which will be in my watch list or a reply to the mail I sent you will get my attention I will remove it when I get confirmation.