iPT4 Heat "Problem" Thread

Discussion in 'iPod touch' started by TchnclFl, Sep 12, 2010.

1. TchnclFl

TchnclFl New Member

Device:
    4G iPod touch
    I've seen a lot of scattered threads about heat "problems" and decided to create a single thread for discussion.

Let's start out by stating when we see the problem, where we see the problem, and to what extent the problem lasts.

For me, I noticed the top (probably about 1.5cm) of the iPT4 getting moderately hot (not so much that it burned, but enough to raise alarm) when I was playing Enigmo (some pretty intense physics simulations). I've also noticed it when using Epic Citadel.

Next time it happens, I'll use my IR thermometer to measure the temperature exactly.

When do you experience it?
  2. Complexis

Complexis Retired Moderator

Device:
    4G iPod touch
    Feeling some heat from the device is normal across all the generations whether you are accessing the drive a lot or if you are charging up the battery. It should be warm, nothing that feels "hot" to the touch.
  3. p1ayrTh3 Ru13

p1ayrTh3 Ru13 Member

Device:
    iPhone 4 (Black)
    I got it once so far. A few hours after I opened it and started playing Scott pilgrim's punch-out. It's like that with my iPhone edge too
  4. TchnclFl

TchnclFl New Member

Device:
    4G iPod touch
    Agreed. But as temperature is subjective, it's hard to identify a problem. Would hot be considered anything that causes physical pain? Anything over a certain temperature threshold?

I wouldn't describe mine as hot if using the former, but the latter hasn't yet been decided.

Personally, I think the heat is a design flaw, but nothing to be concerned about. I doubt that the heat is going to cause any damage to the device.
  5. Chamilism

Chamilism New Member

Device:
    iPhone 4 (White)
    IMO I like the Heat, it kinda feels pretty good. I don't get it until it's burning or anything, the heat has never froze the iPod so far.
  6. jaman_ca

jaman_ca New Member

Would having a soft case make things even worse? Those things must be pretty good insulators.
  7. jiakai_ln

jiakai_ln Member

how hot or warm is it
    kinda dont like it when a device gets warm or hot
    itouch heat+florida heat=explosion

Please Register or Log in to view images

8. _JKK_

_JKK_ Super Moderator Staff Member

Device:
    iPhone 5S
    I get some warmth out of it, but Apple's already proven they can fix heat issues with a software update (the iPhone 3GS had some pretty serious overheating issues when using GPS, when it was first launched. A software update fixed it.)

Honestly I'm not worried.
  9. chillen

chillen New Member

i dont understand the heat issue i played games like 3 hours straight this morning and it barely even got warm, so yall must have defective ones
  10. TchnclFl

TchnclFl New Member

Device:
    4G iPod touch
    Meh I discredited the heat as isolated issues until I tried enigmo and it got really hot. Now im a believer

Please Register or Log in to view images

------------------double post merged------------------
    Update: been browsing for around 30 mins, just measured the temperature at ~100 degrees F. Definitely nothing to worry about so far.