iPT4 Bluetooth Chip?

Discussion in 'iPod touch' started by TouchFaith, Sep 14, 2010.

1. TouchFaith

TouchFaith New Member

Device:
    4G iPod touch
    I was poking around and noticed the MAC address for WiFi and Bluetooth both start with 5C:59:48. That fits with the 4G teardown showing a single chip integrating the two services. However, a search for "rv km0727121" printed on the teardown chip revealed nothing. I tried looking up the MAC address at Coffer.com's vendor search and it returned as an invalid string.

Apparently the iPhone uses a combo chip from Cambridge Silicon Radio, and their only 802.11n combo chip is called the UniFi CSR6026. However, CSR's MAC addresses start with 00:02:5B, (a much more standard string). So here's what I'm thinking: Apple could be using the UniFi CSR6026 in the iPod Touch 4G, but cleverly changed the MAC address format and also removed CSR's label from the chip. So it's either that or Broadcom's BCM4329 chip, as suggested by the iPhone Wiki.

Thoughts? Anyone know more Bluetooth info I missed?
  2. Mchief298

Mchief298 Active Member

Device:
    4G iPod touch
    lolwut? Apple isn't too good at hiding anything, honestly... So, I doubt we'll see the same chip, especially since we kinda got jipped on a few other things as well.
  3. benster123

benster123 New Member

Device:
    4G iPod touch
    one abbreviation, FCC buddy :x
  4. TouchFaith

TouchFaith New Member

Device:
    4G iPod touch
    Engadget refers to the FCC teardown as "Apple A1367" but a search for those terms at fcc.gov revealed nothing (including a Google site search). I did find it interesting, however, that the iPhone Wiki mentions the BTServer (found in iOS 4.1 for iPhone 3GS at /usr/sbin/BTServer) runs on a CSR BlueCore chip.

If the chip is the same in the iTouch and iPhone, I wonder if the iPhone's BTServer functions could be (legally) rewritten and ported to the iTouch.

EDIT: I opened up iOS 4.1 for the iPod Touch 4G and found numerous references to bcm4329. I think I have my answer! And now you do too, reader. This is good news for me, as it appears to be the same chip in the iPhone 4.

What I want to know now, is how to interpret the code Apple uses with the chip. "boardtype=0x568"? What the heck?