IPSW: Include files in data partition

Discussion in 'Pwnage and Winpwn Discussions' started by 2shell, Jun 18, 2008.

1. 2shell

2shell New Member

Hi,

I am using PWNAGE to create a custom IPSW (1.1.4) for my iPod Touch and so far everything works fine.
    I was wondering if it is possible to also include custom data files with the IPSW.

Since the root partition is limited to 300 - 400 MB (I tried to raise it to 600, that didn't work) the data ought to be put insigde the data partition (mounted on /var/private).

I was looking up and down for how to manipulate the data partition in the IPSW.
    As far as I understood it, there are 3 dmgs in the IPSW:
    • 022-3893-4.dmg (Restore)
    • 022-3896-4.dmg (Update)
    • 022-3900-4.dmg (User)
    I fiddled around with the 'User' image quite a bit. I managed to get the image out of the 8900 container so that hdiutil recognized the dmg and gave me information about it. However I was not able to mount the dmg (Same with the 'Update' dmg).

Do i miss something, or am I completely mislead?

Please Register or Log in to view images

Any advice or hint is very welcome.

I must admit, I am a linux bloke and kind of new to the apple/mac world, which is why I have limited knowledge on its beasts - so I apologize in advance for any 101-trivia I am completely unaware of

Well, perhaps I should explain the big picture of what I'm up to:
    I wrote a very specialized app, which includes some 100megs of data files that are packaged with the app.
    The app will have to be installed by "not very experienced" users, so I went for the IPSW approach to just have to show them how to restore the iPod with iTunes.
    The application data however is to big for the root partition and cannot be synced over via iTunes, so it has to be copied via SSH/SFTP, which is a bit inconvenient to the above mentioned users.
    This is why I am trying to include the data with the IPSW.

Thanx in advance for any helping post.

regards,
    2shell
  2. EMForce

EMForce New Member

you have to install BossTools, after you jail break it that will make a link to the bigger portion allowing you to install more 3rd party apps
  3. 2shell

2shell New Member

EMForce, thank you for your reply, but I'm not trying to increase app-space (I know BossTool and used it).

I wil edit my first post, to explain the big picture of what i'm trying to do.

thanx anyways,
    2shell
  4. Ryan

Ryan Well-Known Member

Device:
    Nexus 4
    im sure ive seen ways to create a new partition on the iphone, have a search around it should be lurking about somewhere.
  5. lauNchD

lauNchD Well-Known Member

Device:
    iPhone 5 (Black)
    Welcome to iPTF! ;-)

The new, upcoming version of the PwnageTool (1.2) will be able to resize the root partition (AND preload Installer packages like BossTool).
    http://blog.iphone-dev.org/
    Whoops! Just saw that's only for 2.0

You can make a ZiPhone plugin

or an iLiberty payload

to send the app to the iPod right after jailbreaking. Check out some how-to's.

Making a ZiPhone plugin is really easy.
    Just make a folder Applications, put your app in it (or whatever else, / is the root directory), zip it, rename it to Blucher.zip and put it into ZiPhone.app/Contents/Resources/ or the folder in which ziphone-gui.exe is in. It will automatically be uploaded to your iPod when you jailbreak it.
  6. 2shell

2shell New Member

Thank you for the welcome ;-)

Actually iLiberty+ was my first approach in bringing the app to the pod, but I decided to go for pwnage since the resulting ipsw can be used to 'restore' the ipod via iTunes, which is convenient to the users and the usage scenario.

Anyway, the app itself gets onto the iPod just fine with the IPSW. This is not the case with the associated data.

The first (rather dumb) tryout was to simply put the data into the files folder of the bundle with target dir being /var/private/mobile, but this resulted in pwnage refusing to add the bundle. ipsw-builder takes the size of the bundle from its Info.plist and validates it with the root-partition size, which is obviously exceeded.
    Then I tried fooling pwnage by specifying a bundle size that would satisfy ipsw-builder. This resulted in empty files on iPod.
    And this is where I'm stuck :-(

Again - I don't have any trouble in getting the app on the iPod, neither do I want to increase app-space - and of course I am able to copy the data via SSH/SFTP to the device.

It's just that I am looking for a way to achieve all this with one single step of restoring the device with a custom ipsw-package.

thank you, anyway
    2shell
  7. hannahadamsbermudez

hannahadamsbermudez New Member

my ipod touch is a 1.1.1
    but it won't let me download any apps onto it
    and it is jailbroken
    do i need to update my firmware?
    if so to how much?
    and will it delete anything already on my ipod?
  8. ipodtouchesrule

ipodtouchesrule Active Member

Device:
    iPhone 4 (Black)
    1. Yes update your firmware. 1.1.1 is extremely old and I don't even know if there are packages for it anymore.
    2. Please don't bump old threads.