Ipot Overheating?

Discussion in 'iPod touch' started by Roga, Oct 17, 2007.

1. Roga

Roga New Member

Device:
    3G iPod touch
    My Ipod Touch gets pretty hot on the back even when I'm just listening to music and especially when I'm playing a game on it. Is there something wrong with my ipot?

And on another note, I heard that you should drain the battery every month to help keep the battery life longer. Is this true?

-Thanks in advance!
  2. Rawd

Rawd New Member

Mine gets fairly warm as well, especially if I am surfing the net, listening to music, and charging at the same time.

I would also like to know about the battery. A Freind of mine told me that I should have drained the battery after the first full charge. I never did that, I keep it as full as I can.
  3. Collateral

Collateral Active Member

Device:
    iPhone 3GS (Black)
    They all get warm, that is because everything is so compacted and it gets like no breathing room in that 8mm case.

The thing with the battery is true. Every so often you should drain the entire battery until it wont turn on any more, then fully charge it again.
  4. djricekcn

djricekcn New Member

Obviusly you guys haven't tried a X360 or Wii with Wii24 on, even a PS3 =-P
  5. bklynsoulja

bklynsoulja New Member

lol next thing u kno the ipod touch is gonna get the ring of fire lmaoo (xbox 360 vocab)
  6. djricekcn

djricekcn New Member

Well the reason why it heats up is because it basically doesnt have airholes and heat builds up (not as easy to cool down), especially if you put it in your pocket, keep in your hands (aka not in the open).
  7. francisco582

francisco582 Member

so theres nothing wrong with it overheating or getting warm.
  8. Andy Huang

Andy Huang Retired Moderator

Device:
    iPhone 4 (Black)
    There's nothing wrong with it getting warm... All electronics will do that if you put it to do enough work. It wouldn't (or at least it is designed to not) overheat. Though, the counter argument is that it was not designed to be jailbroken, so if you run tons of stuff after you jailbreak your ipod,, there's no promises that it won't overheat and crash.
  9. andyandy6464

andyandy6464 New Member

Actually, completely draining a Lithium-Ion battery is'nt necessarily better for it's health. The only thing that will remedy is the battery gauge on the ipod. They tend to get picky after every 30 or so charges and the guage will inaccurately depict how full the battery is. Discharging it completely every 30 or so charges should fix it. L-ions tend to prefer a partial discharge and recharge cycle rather than a full discharge and recharge cycle.

In case you're interested: http://www.batteryuniversity.com/parttwo-34.htm
  10. Darlyn

Darlyn Member

Device:
    iPhone 3G (Black)
    I just got my iPod today, and after about an hour of (unsuccessful) tinkering with Wi-Fi, it was very warm. In that hour, I lost about 20% of the battery ... is this normal?

Oh, and another thing, I took the plastic screen protector that came with it and put it on the back side. Although it completely immunized the back from smudges, quite a few air bubbles formed (I'm not even sure if they're air; hopefully, it's not water/prespiration.) Could this plastic sheet be trapping more heat?