iPoT Battery life: Abysmal

Discussion in 'iPod touch' started by nintendodude, Sep 17, 2007.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. nintendodude

nintendodude New Member

i completely charged my iPoT, used it in the car for 20 min of music, another 30 or so at schoool, did some light browsing, and now the battery is at 20%

is anyone else getting this poor of battery life? did i get a dud?
  2. DJ Xander

DJ Xander New Member

wow that sucks. unfortunately i'm still waiting on mine...i preordered the day it came out... :|
  3. Phoxx

Phoxx New Member

Device:
    iPhone 3G (Black)
    that's how it is with any battery operated device.

First time you charge, it will not very well. After you drain, you use it all, charge again, drain, charge. After a few cycles, the battery will work as intended.
  4. nintendodude

nintendodude New Member

i have done two power cycles so far, complete charge and dis-charge.

i did, however, fail to completely charge the iPoT prior to first use, i was so PUMPED to use it that i just said "screw it" to my prior knowledge of Li-on batteries.

i am also suffering from "horrible black" syndrome, although not to the extent that it is stated else where. either way, this sucker may be returned once the hardware mods. have been done by apple
  5. veryniceipod

veryniceipod Retired Moderator

Device:
    iPhone 3GS (Black)
    Maybe you should try talking to an Apple genius to see what they have to say about the battery?
  6. joelster9@gmail.com

joelster9@gmail.com New Member

Li-I?

Hi I have a Touch, and the battery has been fairly good for me. Nothing like what the Apple site claims (22 hours I think) but it's been about 3-4 with watching movies for about an hour, browsing, lots of cover flow, etc.

Is it a problem not to charge Li-Is to their full extent? I always heard that Lithium Ion batteries don't really need to be charged fully because they don't have a battery memory.
  7. nintendodude

nintendodude New Member

thats correct, somewhat.

Li-On batteries dont have a "memory" issue, that is the old Ni-Cd batteries from yonder years. Li-On batteries should not be dependant on regular cycles to keep their life, however it doesnt hurt to do one complete cycle every now and then.

e.g.
    if you have a laptop, do not just leave it plugged in alll the time. the battery will be ruined 9 months later. batteries need to be used or they crap out
  8. the_raider

the_raider New Member

I am learning that turning the iPoT on and off throughout the day when you want to use it, spends a ton of battery power. I think it is made to be like a cell phone and have it on sleep mode in your pocket. You have to remember it is not like a normal iPod, because it has to open OS X.
  9. Whistler

Whistler New Member

How about using it with Wi-Fi off, otherwise it's constantly searching for a connection.
  10. yacoub

yacoub New Member

Well the battery IS pretty small. They should have made the case the same size as the iPhone's and used the extra space to include a bigger battery and a microcard memory expansion slot.
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.