iPodTouchFans - IRC chat channel

Discussion in 'iPod touch' started by thomashayes, Oct 14, 2007.

1. thomashayes

thomashayes New Member

Hey Guys,

Just a post to draw your attention to something that was started in the 'Site Chat' section...

I've set up an IRC channel for live chat about the iPod Touch. I think it'll be a really good way to have quick live chat exchanges, and maybe help some of the nuubies without them clogging up the boards!

2. Complexis

Complexis Retired Moderator

Device:
    4G iPod touch
    As I have stated in my suggestion, just get a VB plugin and configure the server and everything from there so that you don't have to type in all the commands all the time.
  3. thomashayes

thomashayes New Member

Fingers crossed our marvellous administrator knows how to do that!
  4. thomashayes

thomashayes New Member

Until we get something integrated...

If you don't wish to use a client, and want a simple way to access the chatroom visit this site on your computer: www.ircatwork.com

Just fill in your nickname (I suggest the one you use here), the server: irc.dal.net, and the channel: #ipodtouchfans

Hit login, and you'll be chatting in seconds.
  5. TheNazgul

TheNazgul Member

can i connect through Colloquy i downloaded that onto my ipod touch...

i have no idea how to use IRC

if so what are the settings i need to input into "Colluquy" ??

thanks
  6. thomashayes

thomashayes New Member

I've not tried colloquy on my iPod Touch - I use IRCm (which is in the installer too).

But if you give me 2 mins I'll check it out and get back to you.
  7. thomashayes

thomashayes New Member

OK, I've tried it and it didn't work for me, but then Colloquy is only an early 0.1 beta - so it's to be expected. I'd recommend using IRCm, or a desktop computer version.

So, load up Colloquy.

Press the logo in the bottom left hand side of the screen, which will take you to the Connections sreen.

Press the '+' symbol, for chat server put in 'irc.dal.net' , for nickname put your nickname here eg 'thomashayes', scroll down to the bottom and in Join Rooms put '#ipodtouchfans'. Then press done at the top.

Back on the connections screen you tap once on your connection to connect and it SHOULD take you to the channel, but it didn't for me.
  8. Andy Huang

Andy Huang Retired Moderator

Device:
    iPhone 4 (Black)
    This is a JAVA powered web irc client, so it won't work on your iPod Touch... But, it does serve the job for those of you that doesn't want to install IRC client on your computers:
    http://misc.chiisana.net/iPodTouchFansIRC/

Unfortunately, I cannot make a public installation of cgi:irc, because it will take up too much server resources with individual sockets and what not; and chances are, irc server won't like same IP address opening that many connections to serve individual users anyways...