ipodtouch with removable storage

Discussion in 'iPod touch' started by beppo, Dec 13, 2007.

1. beppo

beppo New Member

does anyone think it would be a good idea to have removeable storage for the ipod touch? it could be ejected and would and have a usb adapter. heres a picture of how it could work. In the top one it would slide out and in the second one it wold be more hidden and ejected.

Attached Files:

2. Danls92

Danls92 Super Moderator Emeritus Staff Member

Device:
    iPhone 4 (Black)
    As good of an idea as that is, there's really no point to posting it
  3. Nt1440

Nt1440 New Member

expandable storage would be nice, but apple likes to keep the housing of their products as nice as possible

so, not gonna happen
  4. beppo

beppo New Member

i think apple would do it if it cost u $150 or $125 dollars to upgrade to the next level.(8gb to 16gb)
  5. Spyda

Spyda Member

Device:
    iPod touch
    i have never understood why apple doesnt put memory card slots on their ipods.
  6. godisjustpretend

godisjustpretend New Member

Say they offer the iPod Touch 8GB and a 16GB with an SD slot. Who would spend $399 for a 16GB device, when they could buy the 8GB at $299, and bump it up to 24GB today by throwing a 16GB SD card in there for $99? Also, while you can get 16GB for $99 today, the price of flash has been dropping quickly, so suddenly the $399 16GB Touch doesn't look so good.
  7. avaloncourt

avaloncourt New Member

That's simple.

You buy and 20/40/60GB to save some money and then you discover it's too small. Now you have to buy something larger. Since you bought all your music from iTunes you have to buy another iPod. They want you churning devices which, of course, you do and it keeps giving them repeated sales.

You may not understand it but Steve Jobs sure does.
  8. cowboyshootist

cowboyshootist New Member

Device:
    iPhone 3GS (Black)
    Personally I don't like it. For one thing add-on memory cards are usually small compared to internal memory. I don't like having to carry around extra cards so what's the point? Just put more memory into the unit and be done with it.

Plus memory card formats change over time. I have a drawer full of Compact Flash, SD, micro-SD and other mem cards. While most of my devices now use SD in the past they didn't.
  9. 4dthinker

4dthinker New Member

I'm for the addon memory strategy. It doesn't matter of they ever do it. Threads like these are fine for just hoping. I hope they add a memory slot, and one with infinite potential. I want it to support every memory standard possible when the technology advances to stick 128 gigs and more on a micro SD card or whatever.

Here's wishing. ;-)
    4D
  10. godisjustpretend

godisjustpretend New Member

I hear what you're saying, and I know apple will never do it anyway, but it's pretty hard to see Apple charge consumers $100 for 8GB of flash. Everyone knows how much flash memory costs these days, and it will just get cheaper.
    I'd actually prefer for the Touch to come with a memory slot, and some minimal internal memory to hold the pre-installed apps. Then you could decide what size you want. Let's say they offered it for $200. If you wanted the Touch for web browsing and occasional video, you could pick one up for $200, either throw an SD card in that you already own, or drop $25 on a 4GB card. If you wanted a 16GB Touch, you could drop $99 on 16GB. That way, you could decide how much memory you want, you could carry more music on additional cards, or you could upgrade whenever you want. More importantly, you wouldn't be paying more than 2x the retail cost of flash memory.

The device is one thing (the UI, sound, video, etc), and the memory is another. I'd like to see MP3/PMP manufacturers stay out of the memory business altogether. Isn't going to happen though.

EDIT: forgot to add that it's a different thing now that Apple has entered the flash memory game. When they were building harddrive-based devices, not many people were hoping they would leave another drive bay.