ipodtouch gpu capability

Discussion in 'iOS Jailbreak & Cydia' started by endrewsmith, Mar 28, 2008.

1. endrewsmith

endrewsmith New Member

Does anyone know if ipodtouch gpu is powerful enough to produce psp like graphic? I know touch has faster processor and more RAM but i have no idea about gpu. is it more or less powerful than the psp?
  2. Aryanenzo

Aryanenzo New Member

Device:
    3G iPod touch
    yeah i wondering that too!!!
    but my question is can the ipod touch play Crysis!?!?
    i put the image file in there (ALL 9Gb) and nope, nothing!!!
    im getting pissed!

Please Register or Log in to view images

can anyone help?
  3. rinn

rinn Banned

u better b kidding.....
  4. berky93

berky93 New Member

well I'm pretty positive it couldnt play a psp gmae or anything close to that, but as for being able to simply display graphics like that...

We all know the touch is capable of 3d graphics. but I'll bet that if the graphics were that complicated, they wouldnt be able to be run on the touch without a crash.

Please Register or Log in to view images

5. rinn

rinn Banned

u better b kidding.....
  6. Hmerly

Hmerly New Member

Device:
    iPod touch
    Actually, there was an article by some website that looked at the specs of the DS, PSP, and the Iphone/ITouch and the conclusion drawn was that the Iphone/ITouch are generations ahead of both the DS and the PSP and that the Iphone/Itouch are much more powerful. So, graphically, our Touches can outdo the PSP, but the question will always be how will we control these games.
  7. fyvel

fyvel Active Member

Device:
    iPod touch
    and also who will code the games i havnt heard of an ps2 emulators so that means we cant port the emulator
  8. telnoi

telnoi New Member

That website didn't include any gpu specs of the iphone. It is inferior.

Iphone/touch specs of the internal mbx lite gpu:
    +- 100 mhz core speed (same speed as the bus speed of the device).
    +- 7 million polygons a second (rough estimation based on mbx lite benchmarks).

Specs of the psp's gpu:
    166 mhz core speed
    33 million polygons a second.

Iphone has roughly the same power as a dreamcast, while the psp comes close to the ps2. PSP wins.
    The touch can't emulate psp, ds or ps2 games. Consider the fact that even a simple n64 emulator requires around 1.8 ghz and a decent gpu (ati 9700 min) to function properly. PSP, nintendo DS and ps2 emulators require even more power. It can render games similar to the DS in terms of quality, but those games would have to be developed specifically for the touch.

Emulation typically requires 3 X the power of the original system.
  9. droidika

droidika New Member

right you are telnoi. simple spec like the main cpu's mhz aren't enough to gauge what a system is capable of. and different proc's are designed to do different thing better than others. a gpu designed for rendering graphics can do a better job than a cpu can at a lower mhz speed. alot of other things to take into consideration. amount of memory and it's speed. bus speeds etc... the touch will never emulate a psp but i think it may have some impressive 3d games if they are coded for it.
  10. d-coyne

d-coyne New Member

Well if the touch is as powerful as a dreamcast why wont someone plez try port an emu?!?!? I mean I kno we 1st have to see how psx turns out but is it a possibility?