iPod won't restore at all. Help!?

Discussion in 'iPod touch' started by iest, Apr 10, 2009.

1. iest

iest New Member

So I thought I'd see if I can get the new 3.0 firmware working on my iPod without the UDID banter.

Downloaded the 3.0 firmware (I'm not a dev), did the option-restore in iTunes with the airport off so I had no internet connection.

Anyway, the software installed, the iPod restarted, then iTunes says that it cannot connect to the iPod because of error 0xE800005D...

So I tried restoring back to 2.2.1. I get an error saying that the iPod can't be restored (error 21).
    I've tried re-restoring a number of times but with no luck. The iPod just gets stuck on the USB->iTunes screen.

Any ideas? This sucks... Why did I try to get 3.0 working!?

Many thanks in advance.
    iest
  2. Ipod Touch Fanatic

Ipod Touch Fanatic New Member

Device:
    iPod touch
    100% DFU works fine
  3. iest

iest New Member

What do you mean?

Yes I can get the iPod into DFU mode, but when I go through the restore process, I get an error message saying:
    "The iPod "iPod" could not be restored. An unknown error occurred (21)."

This happens whichever ipsw I choose. 3.0... 2.2.1... either.
  4. steve19137

steve19137 New Member

nothing is going to work for you. you said that your not a dev. that means that you got it from the guy that lives in the deep, dark alleyway behind your house. its not going to work for you. as far as i know, your ipod is bricked. for good
  5. iest

iest New Member

Bricked?

There has to be some way to do a restore. It's a piece of computer hardware, after all.

Seriously, bricked?
  6. zabir/.

zabir/. New Member

Im not very technical but when I had a problem where I couldnt restore my ipod what I did was..

Download the original 2.2.1 firmware from a website (just google search it, its not hard to find one) and then hold down shift and restore. Find the .ispw and restore. Dunno if this is any help..
  7. iest

iest New Member

I'm downloading 2.2.1 from an external source now, but I don't see how it'll be different from doing a normal restore using iTunes...
  8. zabir/.

zabir/. New Member

When you tried to restore through the normal method, did you get a message saying something about unable to contact service provider or something? I cant remember exactly off the top of my head. Something to do with no network connection?
  9. JayTraceur

JayTraceur New Member

Device:
    2G iPod touch
    I think you may be truely bricked. And btw use the search bar on this forum, i'm sure i've seen numerous tutorials to downgrade.
  10. zabir/.

zabir/. New Member

Im not so sure..
    If the ipod was to be bricked surely it wouldn't start up at all?
    If the 'restore to itunes' logo is there that means that its accessable.