iPod won't restore (2G, firmware 2.2.1)

Discussion in 'iPod touch 2G Jailbreak: redsn0w, 24kpwn, etc.' started by MandatoryPod, May 25, 2009.

1. MandatoryPod

MandatoryPod New Member

Yesterday, I jailbroke my iPod with redsn0w, and installed Cydia.

From Cydia, I downloaded Winterboard, Bossprefs, and OpenSSH. Then I downloaded a few themes for Winterboard, and that was it.

That night, while listening to my iPod, I realized that the speakers stopped working. No matter what I did, only the headphones would register.

Two hours later, my iPod started lagging. So I turned it off, and went to sleep.

This morning, my iPod would not turn on, so I put it into recovery mode and plugged it into iTunes to do a full restore, and maybe jailbreak it again...

Unfortunately, iTunes got stuck on the "Verifying iPod Software" icon for three hours. I disconnected my iPod, and now, it won't respond to anything I do. It's totally... gone. I decided to download the newest version of iTunes, but while I'm downloading, I was wondering if I could get any insight to fix my iPod?
  2. Ipwnnubletz

Ipwnnubletz Banned

3. MandatoryPod

MandatoryPod New Member

I did, except it won't let me restore. It gets stuck on the "Verifying iPod Software" screen for 3+ hours... I have no other applications running except Firefox.
  4. kewlgreen

kewlgreen Member

Device:
    2G iPod touch
    You think it might be a bad firmware file?

Try downloading a different one.
  5. Ipwnnubletz

Ipwnnubletz Banned

You said you were in Recovery Mode. DFU and Recovery mode are 2 different things.
  6. MandatoryPod

MandatoryPod New Member

Yes, I'm sorry, it's in DFU mode i held down the Sleep button and the Home button.
    ------------------double post merged------------------
    Okay, so I managed to finish restoring it back to factory settings. But now, it won't turn on. All I see is a white apple in the middle of my screen, and it's been like that for about 20 minutes. It won't turn on though...
  7. DarkWrath

DarkWrath Active Member

Device:
    4G iPod touch
    if you are sure you've restored it to factory settings just take it off to the apple store. They'll fix it for ya.
  8. nice marmite

nice marmite New Member

This is one method that I found fixes many issues like this:

1) Go into the folder where you left the custom firmware and all the other bits of the jailbreak
    2) In one of the folders there should be a program called voltage booter or redsn0w booter
    3) Put the iPod in DFU mode and plug it in by USB (duh!)
    4) run the boot program and click boot
    5) hopefully the iPod should glow white on the screen
    6) then it will either turn on or show the 'must be synced with iTunes first' icon
    7) if it needs to be synced before use just do it as normal and re-hack if thats what you want to do

I'll post the download link for the booter just in case you dont have it.

Please post here if it does or doesn't work for you
    ------------------double post merged------------------
    http://u.dopaul.com/Voltage.rar

In that folder you will find the boot along with the firmware hack and other useful tools.
  9. itouchmybody

itouchmybody New Member

hi

yea i have the same thing but a 1g
    i updated it to 3.0 and download some stuff and then it died i ve been downloading every firmware form 1.1.1 to 2.2.1 none work any help
  10. mitchell209

mitchell209 Active Member

Device:
    iPhone 4 (Black)
    Put your iPod into DFU Mode and Shift Click Restore, then select your 3.0 IPSW.

Please do not bump threads in the future.